Consider DVD43 plugin support for a freeware equivalent to AnyDVD

May 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM
Hi, I just reviewed VidCoder on my blog: http://www.freewaregenius.com/2010/05/05/vidcoder-easily-convert-your-dvds-to-video-files/ One issue that I wanted to raise that could really differentiate VidCoder is it had support for the new DVD43 on-the-fly decoding plugin. See this page: http://www.dvd43.com/ Thanks!
Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM
Edited May 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM
Well the big problem with DVD43 is that it only works with 32-bit windows. What I am trying to do is get libdvdcss support built in, which would also remove CSS encryption automatically. It's should just be easy as dropping in the DLL but it has been mysteriously crashing. I've been trying to figure out what exactly is wrong. Also, thanks for the review. Can you submit a bug about it crashing on .flv files and submit one it's crashing on?
May 5, 2010 at 5:41 PM

@ RandmEngy. I should have mentioned: the DVD43 plugin (as opposed to just plain DVD43) is both 32 bit AND 64 bit compatible.

That's what got me excited about it.

Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM
Edited May 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Interesting. I'll take a look at the API and see if it's accessible at my level. In the end, I have to give a decrypted path to HandBrake. (Unless I can get libdvdcss working)

Coordinator
May 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Okay I looked into this and it gives you back file streams and an API to read bytes from the protected file. I'd have to find all the titles and copy each one and copy them to a new location before giving the location to HandBrake. I think getting libdvdcss working would be a much better option.

May 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM
RandomEngy, Looking forward for your libdvdcss implementation. Let me know or post in this discussion when that occurs, so that I can post it on my site.
May 18, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Edited May 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM
I'm using version 0.4.1 of VidCoder on XP with the libdvdcss-2.dll from the XBMC project. I renamed libdvdcss-2.dll to libdvdcss.dll after I popped it into C:\Program Files\VidCoder . Whilst version 0.4.0 crashed on scan, with this lash up in place and an encrypted dvd in the optical drive, amazingly V0.4.1 seems to be working ok and encoding away nicely. So GOOD work there RandomEngy. Although ONE encode is not a thorough test It certainly is better than the guaranteed crash I was getting on V0.4.0 Note: XBMC puts the library in C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\players\dvdplayer on a normal XP install.
Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Wow, really? I have been trying the exact same thing: renaming that same dll to libdvdcss.dll and putting it in the program folder. I've gotten nothing but crashes and I never got it working. I'm surprised to hear you got it going without the crash. It always bombed with no stacktrace and I didn't have PDB symbols to figure out what was going on. I eventually figured out that it was crashing if I allocated too much memory before the scan. Seemed like a really annoying problem to debug so I put it on the back burner. Are you using libdvdcss 1.2.9?

May 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM
Edited May 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM
RandomEngy the version of libdvdcss I'm using is from a nightly build of xbmc and the log reports it as v 1.2.10 . I have done further testing on the girlfriends 64bit Win 7 laptop, and with the same work around in place VidCoder V 0.4.1 crashes on scan, so it may be something to do with my 32bit XP install. I have been using this method of decryption successfully with the Windows version of HB from about the time of the last snapshot before the 0.9.4 release. I'd also like to say I like the way VidCoder is going, and it looks like it will be much more on a par with the Mac and Linux versions of HB than the current Win HB.. I have took the liberty of paste-binning my successful encode on the XP machine: http://pastebin.org/249646 :The DVD was the PAL European version of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Have now successfully encoded another DVD on the XP machine this after closing and restarting the application, I also got the Win7 machine to scan all the way through the DVD by placing the libdvdcss.dll file into C:\windows\system\ but it only did it once and then crashed every time so it was probably a fluke.
Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Yeah I think the intermittent nature of the problem is just some memory allocation or dynamic dll loading issue. Sometimes the memory is okay, sometimes it's being used for something else and bombs. I would love to get someone with some unmanaged debugging experience to come in and help out on this. Not sure right now if this is an issue in libdvdcss itself or the way libdvdread dynamically loads it. Or something about the HandBrake binary itself.