High CPU usage when converting

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

This is NOT a VidCoder issue

but I am encountering a high CPU situation and the PC "squeals like a pig" when I try to convert .AVI to .MP4.   I have tried VidCoder, EncodeHD and Videora iPhone Converter programs.

I have a custom-built fairly high-end PC running Windows Ultimate x64 and I have not been able to find a solution on the web.  Maybe I need to be able to reduce the CPU utilization of the conversion program (e.g. VidCoder) which goes up to around 98% CPU utilization?  My video card, fast CPU, 12GB memory, etc. should easily be handle a video conversion.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I really like the look of VidCoder so far.  It has a really good interface and, once the preset has been setup, the conversion is so easy.  I REALLY like the way it's all in one simple window.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:49 PM
Edited Jul 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM

It sounds like your computer needs better cooling to handle high CPU loads.

And thanks! :)

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, I've been looking at different configurations and slowing my PC down (from its optimized performance levels).  Changed to default BIOS settings but still have issues with all video conversions that I try (including HandBrake).  I've run MemTest86+ (which is a pretty good tool) to test the memory and the memory checked out OK.  I now going to install SpeedFan and monitor CPU heating.  If I listen carefully, I actually hear a fan kicking in faster as the video conversion progressing -- can't tell if it's one of the many fans in the case or the CPU fan though.

Anyway, this obviously is not a VidCoder issue so I'll stop bugging you :)