Feature request - automatic pause when external process is running

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Been using vidcoder for about 2 months now and i think it's great. I run it on my media centre, usually i queue up about 10-20 things to keep it busy for a few days at a time.

But I find that even with the encoding process priority set to low and my media software (mediaportal) process being set to high, i still get glitchy playback when watching hi-res stuff at the same time as encoding. So i usually pause encoding when i go to watch something, then resume it when it's done.

Think it would be great if this could be done automatically - if vidcoder could keep watch for the existance of the mediaportal.exe process, and if it's there, pause encoding until it's gone again. Would be enough if it checked like every 10 seconds or so. Then i could just leave vidcoder running minimized in the background the whole time, and never have to worry about it. Obviously to be a useful feature, it would need to be able to check for the existance of any user-specified process, and maybe the polling interval could be adjustable too.

That would be really useful!

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Interesting idea. I'll put it in the feature backlog. Sounds easy enough to do.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:14 PM

great! now that i think about it, it really plays havoc with the bbc iplayer too (which seems to struggle generally on my system, despite being dual core 3.6ghz), so maybe it would be best to be able to create a "watch list" of one or more processes - the presence of any of them should cause encoding to pause.

thanks for listening, and for creating a really useful piece of software! (i used to use handbrake before i found VC, i find VC to be much more user-friendly for a regular workflow)

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM

So would you want the encoding to resume after the process closes? (assuming it had been automatically paused by that process)

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:41 AM

yes, exactly that. this would mean i can leave VC running all the time in the background, without having to remember to pause while watching stuff (and remembering to resume afterwards)

crucially, it would also mean i could safely let girlfriends use it without having to explain to them how to pause/resume VC to stop the films looking funny :)

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Good news! I just released 0.6.1 and the feature is in it. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM

just came through on the auto-update, i saw the new feature in there so i immediately came here to say thanks!

THANKS!!