Feature Request

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I have been using VidCoder for some time now.  I like this better than Handbrake.  One thing i would like to see added is the ability to name my own filename when using "Enqueue Multiple Titles".

The way the input box is setup now with the checkboxes is perfect, but could a text input box be added where we could enter our own file name.  And one or more variable inputs would be great also.  Like %title%

And allow the variable to be set by user.  Something like this.

File Name %title%=10

This would be used mostly for TV episodes.

Say there are 8 episodes on each disk

Season 1 Disk 1

Seinfeld S01E%title%=01

would become

Seinfeld S01E01 . . . . . . . Seinfeld S01E08

Season 1 Disk 2

Seinfeld S01E%title%=09

would become

Seinfeld S01E09 . . . . . Seinfeld S01E16

and so on.

FairUse Wizard has some variable inputs like this.  But i don't like using it.  It has more steps involved even with the variables.

If this could be added it would be great.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM

This would be a great addition.

In a earlier version one could use {source}-{source}-{title} to achieve similar results if the upper level folders were named accordingly.

Unfortunately this no longer works "for me anyway" when choosing multiple .mkv files via the Enqueue Multiple files option.

Folder names:

eg, /Seinfeld-S1/D1/title00.mkv  

The output file would be Seinfeld-S1-D1-title00.mp4

Due to this no longer functioning correctly I tried many earlier versions of vidicoder to find one that still worked. I had no luck though.

I had to settle on using version 6.0 as its the only one that can queue up multiple .mkv files without crashing after hitting the encode button.

Try going into the options / General Tab / File Format - then choose a custom format and paste in {source}-{source}-{title}. It may work for you.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Viz: I'll look into your crash. Since you posted a stack trace I should be able to fix it in the next version.

Also I knew that the auto-naming had some weird behavior in earlier versions but I never knew that it could auto-name from a directory two levels above the source file. I could introduce a {parent} parameter if it would be useful: where {parent:2} is a parent directory 2 levels above.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Personally I would love a {parent} parameter option.

Its actually funny, I figured when the {source}-{source} was used it was supposed to look @ the parent folders. It was actually a very useful error.  ;)

I've since tried almost every version in an attempt to recreate the error for normal encoding usage lol.

Generally I backup all the dvd's I purchase with makemkv so as to watch them easily on xbmc w/o killing dvd drives and or scratching my disks. Then eventually I encode them all to save space ect.

Due to the semi organized fashion of the backup folder structure, using the {source} to call the parent folder name for output to the file name was a big time saver. It also allowed me to dump all the output files to one big folder w/o rewriting over already encoded backups.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Thanks Viz for the reply.

That doesn't work for my situation.  I am using a dvd folder ripped from the disc.  I first open a dvd folder then goto "file" then "Enqueue Multiple Titles", put check boxes next to all the titles i want encoded and click ok.

Before doing this i changed the file format in options to "Name of Series" S01E{title}.  Exp Seinfeld S01E{title}.  If i then selected titles 2,3,4 in the "Enqueue Multiple Titles" window, the queued up files would be.

Seinfeld S01E2

Seinfeld S01E3

Seinfeld S01E4

When i changed the source to the next dvd and did the above again and selected titles 2,3,4 the output would be.

Seinfeld S01E2

Seinfeld S01E3

Seinfeld S01E4

So it would just overwrite the same files.  It is using the title number from the dvd.  Even if you selected different titles for the next disc they still would not be number with the correct episode number  That's where being able to assign a starting number to the title would help.  But it would be more useful in the "Queue Multiple Titles" window because the title number would change with each new disk in the series.  Titles in disc 1 would be 1,2,3,4 titles in disk 2 would be 5,6,7,8 and so on.

I take it from the lack of response from RandomEngy that this i not possible.  Thats fine it was just a suggestion.  But a reply saying so would have been nice.

Thanks again Viz for the reply.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM

No, it's possible certainly. It's just that I've been working on some other things.

I suppose I'd also need to add an option to the {title} parameter in the auto-name option that lets you specify leading zeros.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM

There's no big hurry.  And yes the leading zeros would be great. 

The reason they are named that way (S01E01) is for xbmc media center, and there are probably other media centers.  It goes out to the TV database and pulls in descriptions, photos, posters etc.  I also have a file renaming program that uses that naming scheme to go out to the database and pull in the title for each episode and add it to the filename.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Added all the requested features in 0.8.1.

You've got an option to override the title from the Enqueue Multiple Titles dialog, an option to add leading zeroes to the title with {title:2}, a new auto-name options {parent} and {parent:2} and a fix for all the batch enqueue crash.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Sorry I just missed adding a feature request for the lastest update!  Wonderful work though Random...

One thing I've noticed, unless I am missing something, using XBZune Player instead of XBMC on our media server in our home since it runs on XP Home.

Zune uses the 'Title' tag to display the file name in the file list extracted from the mp4 tag.

O:/OMC/TV/Frasier/Frasier 111 The Good Son (Pilot).mp4 (using the a similar naming convention as above posts, but X/X/X is Season/Disc/Episode which results in decent quick sort of the displayed list

The resulting filename (Frasier 111 The Good Son (Pilot).mp4) is displayed in the list of Zune on Xbox as:

'Frasier 111 The Good Son (Pilot)' in the folder 'Frasier'

I've been using tagscanner and it's tag processor feature to rename the .mp4 title tag, and drop the 'Frasier' (or other name) to just '111 The Good Son (Pilot)' in this case, so when XBMPZune displays it, it shows as:

'111 The Good Son (Pilot)' in the folder 'Frasier', hence dropping the redundant 'Frasier' from the title's list.

Question is, can it be written into the code to also name a title tag in a similar way as a filename for each file, without having to go back and retag each file (a very time consuming process)?

Long File Names, such as Band Of Brothers title and episode get too long to display in the XBMC or XBZune lists, hence the reason for shortening them to display properly in the subfolder, but retaining the proper filename on disk for easy identification.

Would love to see a tag editor similar to the filename editor...

Thanks again for the great work!

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I don't think I can add that as the HandBrake API doesn't expose that capability.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM

With all the extra time you have on your hands you can't write a proprietary routine? (extreme sarcasm)...

I understand...thanks for considering it - really.  It'd be nice to have as a 'total capability' feature when dealing with the encode side of .mp4's.

With all the ability to change file name through {conventions} it's odd it was omitted/missed on the handbrake engine side.

The issue wasn't exposed to me until a few days ago I encoded some files fooling around with Prism's Video File Converter, and the only thing showing on the folder list on xbzune on like 15 movies was 'DVD'...took me a second to understand what had happened since the file names were correct...upon inspection in tagscanner (didn't even know you could tag mp4's but guessed it might be possible), it was revealed that the title tag as placed by prism was 'DVD' (and no option in the prism software to change it) so I fixed them, adding the filename as the tag, and then later shortening them to display better...and I immediately of course thought of VidCoder needing that ability ;).

Stick it in the back dark recessess of your mind for the day you've decided to start it all over from scratch.

In the meantime I will look around for other meaningless things I'd like to see nobody else wants (more sarcasm...)