Explorer not recognizing New Disc when VidCoder Running

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM

This may be an isolated issue, but thought I'd mention it in the event others may have had the same problem.

Running dvd43 tsr to strip encryption [when making legal backup copies of my discs to my harddrive ;)] and using VidCoder 0.8.1.0 x86 to encode.

Typical process is Copy DVD to Hard Drive, Enque several discs worth of titles using VidCoder, and go to sleep.

Recently, when VidCoder is encoding, I've noticed that when I place a new disc in the DVD player, explorer or VidCoder is not recognizing the new disc's name (or it's file name in explorer properties tab) when there are more than a few files in the encode queue.

When the disc is copied anyway, VidCoder crashes upon attempting to encode the corresponding files or doesn't recognize the proper chapters when attempting to add to queue.

example:

Say 'Quantum Leap' is in DVD Drive D:, it would display '-QUANTUM LEAP (D:)' and it's subfolder VIDEO_TS in explorer or VidCoder.  Upon changing discs to say 'MASH S3D2' while VidCoder is encoding, dvd43 does it's thing, but the drive will either still show the last disc's name in explorer or VidCoder, or just 'CD DRIVE (D:) and no subfolders, or the subfolders from the last disc as '-QUANTUM LEAP (D:)'. 

Also attempting to encode direct from disc when the name hasn't 'refreshed' (as viewed in explorer or VidCoder) usually crashes VidCoder.

Closing and re-opening an explorer window doesn't fix it, stopping and starting dvd43 doesn't fix it, and only closing VidCoder, then closing explorer, then re-opening explorer and loading VidCoder will allow a new title to be displayed properly and encoded properly.

Methinks it's an exploer issue related to .net resources?

Thanks...

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I think this might be a DVD43 issue. Are you running an x64 OS? VidCoder does use a ManagementEventWatcher to check for drive insert/delete so DVD43 might be having some issues with updating the drive list while one of those is active. Does this problem ever occur when explorer, but not VidCoder is running?

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Hi...thanks for the really quick reply!

Running XP Pro SP3 x86 32-bit (Dell Intel P4 3.2Ghz with 4GB Ram, 1GB gfx Ram)

The issue only happens when VidCoder is has multiple files in queue, and regardless if dvd43 is running (say when encoding standard recorded dvd's from a dvd recorder).

I've tried to replicate the issue today, and closing explorer while VidCoder is paused works occasionally.  Currently I have 30 files queued and I have to refresh explorer 2-3 times to get the filename to show properly.  Another type of error that occurs when this is happening is explorer won't copy the file, saying it can't read from the drive (it's looking for files that aren't on the drive since the name hasn't refreshed in the copy process as well?), in addition to the wrong file being copied.  It really seems as if the buffer of the file info isn't being flushed between drive changes, either in explorer or VidCoder (does one report to the other using the EventWatcher?)

Explorer isn't having this issue with Handbrake 0.9.5 using the DOS style queue window and dvd43 running.

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Yeah I don't have an x86 OS install anymore, and DVD43 only runs on that. For me, even with files queued (still don't understand why that would be related), VidCoder and Explorer pick up disc insert/eject events just fine. I'm using AnyDVD. The problem may be arising from some combination of DVD43's handling of disc events and Explorer's and VidCoder's event watchers, but I won't be able to repro and work on the problem.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:45 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM

That's cool...I realize it may be isolated. You're doing a great job!

Yeah I don't have an x86 OS install anymore, and DVD43 only runs on that. For me, even with files queued (still don't understand why that would be related), VidCoder and Explorer pick up disc insert/eject events just fine. I'm using AnyDVD. The problem may be arising from some combination of DVD43's handling of disc events and Explorer's and VidCoder's event watchers, but I won't be able to repro and work on the problem.
May 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Just FYI, the latest release seems a bit buggy...have had 4 crashes in 4 attempts (newest Handbrake CLI?). Started using Handbrake again since I can't get Vidcoder to work anymore (going to D/L the older release and reinstall). Also, the folder DVD drive update issue is still a problem, and Handbrake updates just fine when spinning up DVD's (windows explorer refreshes the DVD name and allows full copy with DVD 43 and Handbrake both running. Evidently a problem somewhere as you mentioned, but it's definately a vidcoder issue...AnyDVD isn't free, so probably why most in the forums (other than codeplex) are using DVD43 and having the same issue on x86 Windows XP machines (still the majority of installs in the corp world!) Hope to get Vidcoder working again... Cheers. From: RandomEngy [email removed] Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:06 PM To: Subject: Re: Explorer not recognizing New Disc when VidCoder Running [vidcoder:241990] From: RandomEngy Yeah I don't have an x86 OS install anymore, and DVD43 only runs on that. For me, even with files queued (still don't understand why that would be related), VidCoder and Explorer pick up disc insert/eject events just fine. I'm using AnyDVD. The problem may be arising from some combination of DVD43's handling of disc events and Explorer's and VidCoder's event watchers, but I won't be able to repro and work on the problem.
Coordinator
May 27, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I see what you mean about the stability. I'm tracking down a bug and it turns out HandBrake svn 3935 (in 0.8.3) has a weird problem where it errors out with "Failed to write frame to output file, Disk Full?" for some reason. So you better roll back to 0.8.2 for now, or upgrade to x64 where everything is working.