problem with broken audio on latest build

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM

this is a strange problem, and very specific. it's a problem which i've had before, which disappeared quite a few builds ago, and is now back (i'll explain more about that later).

videos i have encoded with the latest build do not play with audio in Mediaportal 1.1 with SAF5.0 codecs (the popular Directshow codec pack specifically designed for use with MP to make it work easily and well for all media). i think it's a splitter problem, Haali splitter is used in this pack (not sure which version). the videos just play silently, and if i check the audio menu in MP it does not show any audio tracks.

the audio is definitely there though - if i play the file in VLC it plays fine, and if i open the file in mediainfo the audio track is there, and it looks identical to audio tracks from other videos encoded from earlier builds which do play fine. but in Mediaportal, with the Directshow codecs, these videos do not play with audio.

i can fix the problem by loading a broken video into MKVmerge and re-muxing it. the resulting output then plays fine.

as i said, i had this problem with some older videos in the past, but this didn't become apparent until i switched from another codec pack to the SAF one (the other codecs were not giving me hardware DXVA), and suddenly a load of my videos didn't play. so the problem may well just be in this codec pack somewhere. i tracked the problem down to the handbrake svn number written on the "writing application" when checking the video in mediainfo. those of certain builds only exhibited the problem. i fixed them by re-muxing them in MKVmerge, and that was (i thought) the end of it.

since updating VC to 0.8.1 the problem has returned for my latest encodes. i have about 25 videos encoded over the last few days which do not play correctly, even though the audio is there. checking the same info in mediainfo again, the newest videos which play fine say "handbrake svn3654" for writing application. those that say "handbrake svn3735" give me this audio problem, and only play correctly if i re-mux them using MKVmerge

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM

VidCoder 0.8.1 has the same HandBrake core as the official 0.9.5 release. Do you get the same problem when you use the official 0.9.5 HandBrake GUI?

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM

output from HB 0.9.5 is fine, plays with audio as normal. used identical settings. the problem is unique to VC.

i would have mentioned this problem the first time, except as it only affected older videos and not ones from the then current build, i didn't see much point in reporting a problem which had apparently been fixed :)

also, i forgot to mention this part : when the problem arose the first time, after i changed codecs, the older codec pack was using Gabest splitter with FFDshow. the new codec pack is using Haali with FFDshow. as the splitter has changed, and as the audio stream (in the problem videos) isn't even being picked up by Mediaportal, and also that the problem is fixed simply by re-muxing the existing streams, it leads me to believe that compatibility with the Haali splitter is where the problem lies.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM

That is really weird since all I give to HandBrake in terms of the container is whether to use MKV or MP4. I certainly don't recall anything I could have done to mess up the muxing. I wonder what's different between the two output files. Is the encode log any different between the two versions?

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM

sorry for the delay in responding - i've been moving house so my HTPC was packed up in a box for a while.

this problem is still happening with the latest build

i've got logs i generated with 0.8.1 before i moved house from both HB and VC encodes of the same test clip. i can't paste them here because the codeplex forum crashes if i try! i'll try and upload them somewhere, as well as the outputs from the test clip

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

VC log : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9800057/VC%20test%20log.txt

HB log : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9800057/HB%20test.mkv%2010-02-2011%2016-11-08.txt

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

VC output : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9800057/VC%20test.mkv

HB output : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9800057/HB%20test.mkv

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Thanks. Downloaded your samples; I'll see if I can figure out what's up when I get some time to work on it.

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I checked out the logs... In VidCoder it looks like you have AC3 passthrough and in HandBrake you're encoding to AAC and mixing down to Stereo. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:53 PM

oops i didn't spot that - it's supposed to be passthrough for everything. i'll do this again!