Created Files don't play on BluRay-Player

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Hi from Germany,

I've been trying to create a Video file that is played by my BluRay-Player (Philipps BDP 5780) for days now.

Tried out a lot of different settings in the "advanced"-Tab (Video-Settings) and all Profiles. Created MKV and MP4, different sound settings too ....

But: No success - my player doesn't play the files. I've tried the same in Xmedia Recode and everything's fine. Perfect playing.

I like Vidcoder very much because of the superb encoding speed and usability but what's the problem with the resulting files? Some kind of muxing problem?

I'm not an expert,so I hope anyone can help me. There must be something that Vodcoder does in other ways than Xmedia Recode.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

sky62 

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Hi sky62.  If you can get it to work with another encoding engine, then most likely it's the settings that is breaking compatibility.  I couldn't find your model # on the Phillips website, however, I was able to look at the bdp5010 which I'm guessing is fairly similar to yours.  There are some major fiile limitations in what this player (and most dlna compliant bluray players) can stream or play.  The one I looked at can only stream divx/xvid avi's.  Those are old codecs that aren't really used anymore in most encoding programs such as vidcoder.  Vidcoder uses a codec called x264 which is superior to xvid in many ways.  It also outputs to either mp4 or mkv which are also superior containers to avi.  Xmedia Recode is most likely using these older software technologies, making your files compliant with your player.  But it is unlikely that the quality of those encodes are even close to what Vidcoder can create.  Vidcoder does not use xVid and therefore you will not be able to use this program with your bluray player.  If you are going to be streaming a lot of your created files from your computer to your t.v., I suggest you use a different type of dlna compliant device that is more made for streaming these files.  Bluray players are best at playing bluray discs...not so much at streaming videos.  WdLive is one device that comes to mind that is pretty popular.  I use the PS3 to stream my files (along with a powerful free program called, PS3mediaserver.  PS3mediaserver will play just about any type of video file that you throw at it, including just about all files created with VidCoder.

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM

By the way, even if you don't play video games (which I rarely do), the ps3 is an amazing piece of hardware (in my opinion).  It does many other things besides play games.  Besides streaming videos, it is also one of the best bluray players out there, as the firmware software is constantly updated with the most recent bluray capabilities.  You can get one for pretty cheap now, so don't be hesitant to buy one just because you don't play video games.  The ps3 does play some videos natively, without having to transcode using ps3mediaserver.  It is a little limited (but not nearly as limited as your bluray player).  Playing videos natively on the ps3 is easier than using ps3mediaserver, which has a lot of options to go through.  However, like I said, it plays anything and everything you throw at it.  WdLive is not as flexible as ps3mediaserver, (i don't have one so I can't say for sure) but I'm guessing it's a little easier to setup and use.  And it does play a lot of different types of files, including x264 mkv's.  So...if you want something really powerful and versatile and don't mind the learning curve, I suggest the ps3 with the free ps3mediaserver software.  If you don't want to have to play around too much with settings, etc., go with the wdlive or some other popular dlna device (popcorn hour and boxee are other popular ones).

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Hi matchorno. First of all, thank you for your answer!

my Player ist not Philipps 5780 but 5180. Oops, sorry! This Player can play MKV files like Divx Plus HD. It can play high-profile h.264 (like the ones created by x264), divx/xvid, AAC, and other formats. I had no problems with MKV, MP4, AVI, containing the most common codecs. That's one of the main reasons why I bought this player - plays almost everything.

The videos I created in XmediaRecode were all MKV (x264 high profile/AAC or AC3) and play superb on the standalone player. Of course divx/xvid/MP3 are outdated since the fabulous x264/AAC entered the race ;-)

Well, seems I have to do the job with Xmedia Recode. I gave up searching for settings in x264 that work :-( *sniff*

Vidcoder seems to be faster and easier to use but the results don't work for me. Perhaps a future release will do ...

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Hello again.  Yes, I see that the 5180 is capable of playing divx plus hd files.  Bluray players have come a long way.  It seems everyone is jumping on the dlna bandwagon.  I'm pretty sure I know now why your files aren't working.  It is definitely the settings you are using.  I never heard of divx plus hd until now so I was curious and did a little reading.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX_Plus_HD states that "DivX has defined profiles which are subsets of MPEG-4/AVI and H264/MKV standards. Because the grouping is a specific subset of what is in the standards, there are certification processes for each of the profiles that device manufacturers must follow. Below is the DivX Plus HD profile.  All DivX Plus HD certified devices bearing a DivX Plus logo will adhere to the profile outlined in the table below, as would any tools that support the DivX profiles. DivX Plus HD devices are also tested for compliance against the DivX HD 1080p profile for MPEG4/AVI certification in order to maintain backwards compatibility"

So it seems that it is really a subset of h264 and that they have limited the type and maximum values (such as a maximum bitrate) of options that can be used.  I assume to make it more compatible.  So you are limited in what advanced x264 options that you can use which is unfortunate.  Some of the higher quality options seem to be non-compatible.  xmediarecode must have a preset that limits the settings to be compatible.  In any event, you can still make it work with vidcoder.  VidCoder is really just a custom interface for another program called Handbrake.  It uses all of handbrake's code.  So keep that in mind when you read the below...

- Here is a thread (http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-152777.html) that goes into making handbrake (and therefore vidcoder) settings that would make it compatible with your divx plus hd (which your device is limited to).

- Here's some more information (http://labs.divx.com/node/15257) on what settings you can use in vidcoder/handbrake.  If you're not too familiar with the advanced options, you could just copy the string they have and dump it into vidcoder and make your own divxplushd profile.  You might be able to tweak it up a little bit too as this post was over a year ago.  I think they were at that time (and maybe still are...however, don't quote me on that) still developing this divx profile and may have added support for other features .

- Apparently this is a video which shows you what settings you can use: http://labs.divx.com/node/15364  I didn't view it because I didn't want to install the divx player add-in.  But it might be useful to you.

So to sum it up...yes, you should be able to use vidcoder to create compatible files for your bluray player.  They are just going to have to fall in the subset of x264 settings that are allowed under divxplushd.  If you're happy anyway with the quality, even after having to reduce the quality settings, then you are good to go.  If you think the quality could be better, and want it to be, I would still look into another streaming device...but of course...the choice is yours ( :  Hope this helps.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Hey matchorno. A lot of useful information. Wow!

I'll check these things.

Thanks a lot!