Feature request

May 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM

This request might sound a little funny, but is there any way that you can have the target size and average bitrate windows in the video settings tab interact with each other?  What I mean is that if I set my target file size to say, 1950mb.  I would like to have the average bitrate window update and tell me what bitrate VidCoder is encoding my file at. 

I know that may be one of those "why would you want that?" kind of requests, but it is a feature I really like about ripbot and I actually have used that so that I could use the info in another program that does not have any output file size estimates, but allows you to select an encoding bitrate.  I guess really waht I want is to know what all the variables in my file will be before I spend the time converting it and then finding out it will not play on my android tablet.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my rambling and I really like the look of VidCoder's interface.  I am doping my 1st file conversion with it as I type this.

Coordinator
May 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM

The way Handbrake does target size/bitrate is by taking in video bitrate only and supplying a function to calculate the needed bitrate to get to a requested size. I think it would be easy enough to display the video bitrate for a loaded video when the target size option is selected. To do the other way around (figure out a final size based on a bitrate), I'd need to write that function. May be doable though and I see the advantage of the feature.

Though the size estimation wouldn't be exact. There are a lot issues about estimating container overhead and subtitle size, etc.

May 2, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Understood.  Thanks for even considering it.

I just finished encoding my 1st file and am checking it out on my tablet now.......  The rightmost edge of the finished video looks like it has been magnified.  Kind of like if you were to take a clear glass rod and placed it on the right hand edge of the screen.  It is a vertical band that has been stretched horizontally.  That band also has a greenish tinge to it.  I am trying to see if my original video has that same band, but it is difficult to do on my high resolution monitor.  I can not seem to zoom in enough.  I am also checking my settings in Vidcode.  I did enable to 8x8 transform in the advanced tab and am making another run to see if that does anything.  I will post an update after.

May 2, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Update:

I finished doing the re-encoding and I no longer have the green band, but the movie is also is no longer in letterbox display.

There is something odd about the resolution and aspect ratio settings.  The storage and display resolutions are not the same.  This is probably not VidCoder's fault, but I think it might be an indicator of the problem.  Here are a couple of photos showing what I mean.  

This one has the green band on the movie

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/thafrogggg/TangledSetting2.jpg

This one does not, but no longer is in letterbox format.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/thafrogggg/TangledSetting1.jpg

See how the storage and display resolutions are different.  I do not think I have seen that on any of my other movies.  I will check on a couple and see.

Have you seen anything like this before?  Also, is there any other info I can send that may give you more information?

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 3:45 AM

That's intentional. When encoding you can set a pixel aspect ratio. That means that you can store a video in one resolution (in your case 720x480) but leave some data in the video that tells it to stretch the picture dimensions a bit. Thus the display resolution: that's what you'll see the video played at, if the player supports it. The practice of encoding videos like this is called Anamorphic. When you set it to Loose or Strict, it will apply the correct pixel aspect ratio to give your video the correct aspect ratio. For HDTV and some movies, that's 16:9, and for other movies that's 2.39:1. In your case the source was 720x480, but with a pixel aspect ratio of 32/27. So while the source has an aspect ratio of 3:2, the pixel aspect ratio is telling it to stretch out horizontally and display at 16:9. In one of your examples you have Anamorphic disabled as well as Keep Aspect Ratio unchecked. That means that your video will encode to and display at 720x480, which is wrong! Recall that the source wants to be displayed at 16:9 (853x480). When you have Anamorphic enabled, it brings along the pixel aspect ratio and shows correctly.

I'd encourage you to open the Preview window and play around with the settings so you can watch how the picture changes. As for the band you're seeing, I think that's on the case where you have the wrong aspect ratio.

May 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Yep. I have played around with the settings using the preview window.

The setting 1 pic I posted has the aspect ratio set as VidCoder set it, at least I do not remember changing any video settings on that rip.  I am running another using "loose" right now, but I do not think it will matter.  I have been able to zoom in enough on my desktop monitor that I can actually see the band in the picture so it is something that happened when I backed up the original disk using DVDFab.  I will have to re-back that one up or just live with that I guess.

Anyway, VidCoder is working great.  I re-encoded several other files I had ripped for my tablet using other software and it looks like they all work great.  Thanks for making your interface more user friendly, now all I need to do it become a more learned user :)........

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 4:11 AM

The bitrate <-> target size calculation is implemented in 0.8.4. Should come in over auto-update.