Suggestion - Drag and Drop Multiple Items in Queue

May 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I love the drag and drop feature of your version of the queue.  However, I noticed that you can't drag and drop multiple selections, i.e. a "chunk" of items at a time.  You can select multiple items, but can't move them together.  In fact, there is no way to move a "chunk" of items up or down.  This would be helpful, say for the following example (a true story by yours truly): You fill up your queue with a t.v. series.  You have episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 all down the column in the queue.  You then realize that you've already seen episodes 1,2,3 & 4...so you would like to encode 5,6,7,8,9,10 first since you want to continue watching the series tonight.  But you still want to encode eps 1-4 because you are archiving the entire series.  You would have to manually slide each of these episodes up to their desired position.  It would be nice to be able to select episodes 5,6,7,8,9,10 at one time and the slide the whole "chunk" up to the top.  Or select episodes 1,2,3, & 4 at one time, and then slide the whole "chunk" down to the bottom.  In Handbrake's queue, you can't drag and drop, but you can select multiple items, right-click and choose move up or move down to move the entire "chunk".  That's o.k. and everything.  But it can be a pain if you want to move them farther than one position, because you then have to right-click, choose move-up, right-click, choose move-up, etc. until you get them to where you want them to go.  Drag and drop is so much easier and is a much appreciated feature of your interface.  If we could drag n' drop multiple items at a time, the would sweeten it up even further.  Not sure if it can be done...Just a suggestion, for what it's worth.

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I got multi-select drag working. It's not perfect as the items will look like they've been de-selected when you're dragging them but it does work. To keep it looking like they were all selected I'd have to mess with the normal listview selection logic and that would be a pain.

May 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Just to confirm what you are saying...do you mean that you just got it working and will put it in the next release?  Or are you saying that this functionality is already there, but it just won't keep all items highlighted?  I understand what you mean by what it looks like...no big deal.  But I can't seem to drag/drop multiple items at all (despite the appearance).  So either I'm doing something wrong or I am I safe to assume you meant that you got it working and will put it in the next release?  Many thanks!

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Yeah I meant I just now got it working and it will be in the next release. :)

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:16 PM
Edited Jul 31, 2011 at 3:18 PM

This was one was on my wishlist as well.  I notice the hightlight doesn't maintain on the "grab" of the items, which leads one to think it was deselected as noted, a future fix or frustrating tidbit of List Item module antics?

On that same note - (Yet) Another item(s) for suggestion :

-Currently 'customize columns' when right-clicking on the list...How about something added to the right click menu selections for either single or multi-selected list items functions for "Move To Top Of List" "Move to Bottom Of List"? (something slightly akin to Netflix Queue ordering)

Also, on this 'TV' style or multiple title per disc encoding...is there a way (now or in a future release) to efficiently "Batch" add the titles to the Queue?

Example: Say the disc (either copied to disk or from disc) is selected, and using preset/custom format file naming conventions for example {parent:2}{parent}{title}, you could batch add all the titles from a disk to the encode queue at once? Typically this involves selecting [Title:] 1 in the [Video:] Drop down box, then an [Add to Queue] press, and so on.  If the [Video:] drop down box was a multiple selection box, then the [Add to Queue] buttom press could batch add them to the Queue List. I suppose the [Automatically Name Output Files] check box would first have to be checked in order to facilitate this function.

Just a thought.  As you obviously know from the start, it's all about the GUI.  You're getting close to 1.0~!

As always RE...excellent timely responses to user input.  Cheers- Delta

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Yeah, the apparent selection changing was a tough detail to get correct. The default behavior of the ListBox was to change the selected item on mouse down, which messed with the drag and drop. I let it go because it was cosmetic but I'll take another crack at it.

As for the queue customization, I kind of think that drag and drop is a powerful enough tool for reordering that a bunch of "move here" commands aren't needed. Certainly if your alternative was to press the up button a lot it would be a good idea but as it stands I don't think a context menu would save you a lot of time.

"Batch" add titles to Queue: Yes, I've got this. File -> Enqueue Multiple Titles or Ctrl+T.

And yeah, my current plan is to let this version bake for a couple weeks and see what crashes or major problems turn up, do a few small fixes and then do a 1.0 release.

Also thank you for all the good feedback. If you like VidCoder, leave it a good review on CodePlex!

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:26 PM

File -> Enqueue Multiple Titles....HOW could I have missed that?  LOL.  <embarassed>.

Yeah, I get the point about the list box...my point to this was the move all to the top is handy when your queue is larger than the screen (list box scroll bar active at that point), it's a two or three step process. 

Thanks for the great work!

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Oh you're talking about the queue itself. You mentioned the "customize columns" so I thought you were talking about that dialog box. Yeah, I'll think about adding those context menu options.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Yeah, currently when you right-click, you get [customize columns]...and it also de-selects the group of selected items in the queue.  I (maybe not everyone understandably) queue up 6-7 discs that were copied to the hard drive, and then let vidcoder go to work all night.  Sometimes I have something I add later that is out of order or perhaps more urgent, and getting 6-8 files to the top of like 40 is a select, drag, scroll, select, drag, scroll process.  Now that there is multi-select, it's much faster, so thanks for that at the very least!  A quick right-click after multi-select and [Move to Top] would put whatever was selected as a priority I suppose.  About a 4 outta 10 on the 'gotta have it in Vidcoder' scale, but icing on the cake none-the-less <g>.  Having given up coding years ago, mostly due to List Box and List Item sorting, List Reordering and List Querie quandries in C++, I am drinking a martini celebrating your enthusiasm in undertaking the challenge.

Again, thanks for the batch queue...how could I have missed that...I feel like an idiot for not using the menus more often...my iPhone has dumbed me down.

Cheers.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:13 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM
,deleted

Moved to issue tracker
Coordinator
Aug 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Alright I got the multiple drag visual issue (where it doesn't look like they're selected) resolved. Should show up in the next release.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM
Excellent! Great Work. Thanks for keeping on top of things like that.
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM

That visual issue should be fixed in 1.0.1.