Hi Thanks for adding Auto-shutdown

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Hi, thanks for adding the above feature.

I have a question about black bars.

I've been using the automatic removal but when I play the movie on my TV there doesn't appear to be any change in the black-bars. Example aspect ratio 16:9 input. Once encoded black bars on TV no change.

Perhaps this is my TV?

Jimbo

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Well there's two kinds of black bars: Ones that exist in the video and ones that are created when the video aspect ratio doesn't match the screen aspect ratio. VidCoder can remove black bars from the actual video but that doesn't guarantee you won't have black bars when watching it. You have to make sure that the aspect ratio of the video matches the aspect ratio of the screen.

One thing that might be happening is your playback device not recognizing the Pixel Aspect Ratio encoded into the video. If you've chosen anything other than Anamorphic: none, your video might have a pixel aspect ratio, which is meant to change the display aspect ratio. If your TV doesn't understand that, it might look different that it does when playing it on your computer.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Hi

So, If I choose Anamorphic none, the AR stays the same as the original - right?

If I pick Loose than - width 1920, height auto, max width none, max height none, then I use auto crop - this should take away black bar from the film?

I noticed that I had problems when I tried to manually reduce BB by 50%. 142x142 tried 71x71. Display shuttered on the TV. When I zoomed the picture it stopped shuttering.

My TV has the usual AR settings in including: Auto, 16:19, zoom, cinema zoom and my media player only has 16:9, Pan Scan and 16:9 letter box.

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 4:21 AM

Anamorphic none means there's no pixel aspect ratio applied to the final video: The aspect ratio will be determined by the output width and the output height alone. It will preserve the original aspect ratio if you check the box that does that.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Which is Strict?

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Strict is a form of Anamorphic. You can tell if your output file is going to have a Pixel Aspect Ratio on it by checking the blue box. It will tell you the size that it's stored in and the size that it's meant to be displayed at.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Thanks for the info - just have one more question.

Was backing up a Blu-ray movie which was shot about 10 years ago. After encoding, I found it to be rather grainy. Can anything be done about this. Do the advanced settings affect the grain content of the movie. I used deblocking -2 -2 which usually gives a sharper picture. Would this add to the grainy look?

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I sometimes see some "grain" in a movie but that's because the source had it. Usually quality targeting takes care of stuff like that for me. Maybe the HandBrake people would know more.