Encoding is slower in queue

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I'm doing multiple encodes with the same profile from the same kind of source files. The encoding process seems to run slower if I add the job to the queue rather than just running it right away, and it gets noticeably slower as I add more jobs to the queue, even though there's only one active job at a time.

Is there something strange going on here, or just user error?

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Well under the covers when you hit "Encode" it adds the job to the queue and starts processing, so it's doing basically the same thing either way. I'd be surprised if that was actually any different. About it getting slower when you add more jobs to the queue: does this happen with different sources only or with multiple encode jobs from the same source as well? And how much slower are we talking? Have you measured it? How big does the queue have to be to get there?

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM
Edited Aug 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I know, it surprised me that it was different. If I have time later, I'll play with different combinations of things. But for example, a single job ran at about 4X. When I queued just this single job and ran it, the encode speed was only 2X. And when I had 5 or 6 jobs in the queue behind it (some on the same source file, some different), the encode speed dropped to below real time.

The source files are DV quality AVIs, produced by Pinnacle Studio from a VCR transfer over a Pinnacle 500-USB. The encode jobs are all 5-10 minutes in length, Normal profile plus decomb and gain +10dB.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM

What are you looking at to determine that it's going slower? Are you aware that the big progress bar tracks the progress of encoding the entire queue, and not just the current job?

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Doh. No, I was not aware of that. I assumed it was like the Handbrake progress bar in the main UI, which shows progress for the current job, not the queue. I'm sure that explains everything. Sorry for the trouble.