New Suggestion? Add Output to Input folder

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Was plugging around and thought of a new suggestion that would be handy to me:
Under Name Output Files -
Ability to select output file folder to the input file folder (if it's not a rom disc drive). This is handy when encoding multiple copied VOB files from folder (ie, each folder has a Season/Disc #) and the output files could be directed there for instead of one default folder.
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Yeah that special case you mentioned about rom disc drive is the sticky point here. What would be the behavior if you've specified you want to put the output in the input folder? We wouldn't be able to just pick an arbitrary folder and rendering them unable to rip DVDs because of that setting seems harsh. I've thought about it before but have not come up with an elegant solution.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Yeah, the problem I am always facing is that the output folder is a one size fits all.  Even if VidCoder could create a new sub-directory from the folder it's encoding from so the files are matched to the parent pool.  The program can tell if it's a drive versus folder no?  Is there a way to sort out the 'default' folder to read the input folder as it's destination?  The mention I made about the drive versus disc iwas so that if you were encoding from a disc in a dvd drive, the program wouldn't try to write back to the disc in the drive it was reading from.

When batch encoding it's easier to match up what's finished folder by folder than one big pot (folder) of partially finished files/encode times etc.

In my case I encode from discs copied to folders (ie: D:/mp4's/tv/Seinfeld/S5D2 05/VIDEO_TS...the result is put in D:/mp4's/ as S5D2 05.1, [Seinfeld].mp4, S5D2 05.2, [Seinfeld].mp4 etc... and the S5D2 is stripped when the episode title is added after encode. (Seinfeld of course is used here as an example program, since I only copy public domain discs to my drive ;) )

Having each disc's enocodings put in a folder from whence they came would make the process more organized later, especially when there are sometimes 16 titles on a 6 title disc, thanks to special features, commentaries on/off etc.  Hard to know what the episode number is going to be until you sort it out sometimes, and having only those episodes relative to the disc narrows it down. 

Currently to do this, one has to reset the default folder each disc on encode prep, and then queue, and reset, etc.  Having a [ ] check box to create [default folder name] or even a program pre-set name like /VCO (VidCoderOutput) as a sub-folder from the origin folder would be a super nice feature.

I know it sounds picky, but it's a handy thing at the end of the day.  In my opinion it makes the software much more automatic fire and forget and less babysitting.

But as you know, as I've said before, you're doing us all a great service by listening to your users.  It's not butt-kissing to tell you that you are doing a great job when you are, and I am sure those who use the software have all appreciated your tweaks and additions from the ramblings you see here.

Thanks again for listening.

Cheers.

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Hmm. I think you could accomplish something close to what you're looking for if I made it possible to put "\" characters in the name format field. You would be able to give it a format of {parent:2}\{parent}\{source}-{title} or something.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM
Definitely....that would solve the problem if the naming conventions were available in the default directory field using those passed variables.
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Hey: FYI I've made that change in 1.0.1: You can put "\" in the custom format path to create subdirectories of the output directory.