VidCoder + Fraps contribution needed

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Hi everyone.

So I recorded a gameplay in 1280x720 and was wondering, what's the best coding option, if I want to upload it to youtube, without loosing too much quality or making the file too big?

Any help would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM

High Profile will be a good option here. If you want to tweak the quality/file size tradeoff you can tweak the quality target on the Video tab. 20 is the default and is a good place to start. You could go down to 18 for higher quality and a bigger file but it would probably be lost as Youtube recompresses it. You may be able to get away with 22 or higher.

Not sure if Youtube supports multi-channel audio or not.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Stereo is enough for me. 8x8 Transform on the Advanced tab somehow corrupts the first few seconds of the uploaded video to Youtube (on my pc it plays fine).

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2011 at 8:52 PM

This is what I would do:

Leave the advanced options box empty (unless you're getting problems like you're mentioning)
One 160 kbps stereo AAC track. Downmix with Dolby Pro Logic II if it's a multi-channel source.
Experiment with the Quality slider on the Video tab and find a quality level that satisfies you. x264 will do its best to keep the file size as low as possible for that amount of quality. In most cases people will see a re-encoded video so a lower quality in the source might not be noticeable.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll try those options, you mentioned.