Suggestion - Save and Load the Queue

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:59 AM

How about a possibility to Save and Load the current Queue? This may be usefull if I want to encode on mutliple pcs.

Great piece of software otherwise!

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Are you encoding from network shares? How would you be sure that the paths to the source files wouldn't change between save and load?

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I always use the same folder for the sources and destinations. And it it is a good readable file-format (like xml), one could do a search/replace in the saved Queue to fix the Paths.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Why would you want to transfer a queue in this way? Wouldn't you just encode one set of files on one PC and another set of files on the other? Trying to see how such a feature could be widely useful.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Ok another scenario (which also happened to me once):

I create a Queue with 40+ items and start encoding, VidCoder then crashes and voila, the queue is gone and I have to start over. If I could save the queue before, I could just reload it, remove those which were done before the crash and continue encoding.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Well what it's supposed to do is persist the queue so that it automatically comes back basically in the state you left it before the crash. Have you been losing the queue due to crashes? If so I'll look into that bug.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Sounds silly but I can see a use for this function.  I often move files between machines, and would love to be able to share a queue list with another machine.  Also give me the ability to queue a bunch of multi episode titles and then just move to single titles only for a specific run without having to delete files from the queue and requeue them when I need the machine for a something or full reboot.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM

To share a queue list with another machine all the input files would have to be on a network share. They'd have to communicate and sync the queue lists, resolve conflicts, deal with the possibility that someone adds a file with a local path inaccessible from the other machine. So in short, quite difficult. Don't know if I'd ever get around to doing that.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I typically just would copy the file!  I think you took my term "share" too literally.  Meaning, single use, not simultaneous use.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:01 AM

Still, what path would the input files have when doing this? Would it be a network share or local path?

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:10 AM
they'd have to be identical of course. haven't tried encoding over a network path yet, but I suppose if the drive is mapped on both machines, it'd be nice to use a saved queue for that,

Other reason is to pre-queue large encodes, and then recall them when needed.

I'll admit it's a fancy perk, but there would be an occasional use if it were available, especially when upgrading or performing maintenance on a machine.

Sent via iCloud iPhone Mobile Sync

On Nov 15, 2011, at 12:01 AM, "RandomEngy"<> wrote:

Still, what path would the input files have when doing this? Would it be a network share or local path?