x264 preset, profiles, levels

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Hi,

First of all thanks for a great app...i was initially (long ago) a user of handbrake but since then have switched and tried many others (meGUI, Ripbot etc...) and of course Vidcoder...you're app is one of the rare ones i still track this days...

One of the latest ability you have implemented to select x264 native preset, profiles is exactly one the criteria i look for in an app...

Question:

While now i can select x264 native stuff...when adding a parameter on the advanced tab ie: level=4.1 i get high@L4.1 except the limits imposed by x264 ie...on 1920x1080 max ref is 4 i get 16 ref etc...

Is this something you will implement later on? or perhaps its currently broken?

Thanks,

..and keep it up...

D/L

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2011 at 3:39 AM

This is a good post from the HandBrake forums that explains Levels in HandBrake/VidCoder:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19368

I think the gist of it is that the level is something that's determined by other arguments, not something you can pass directly in.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Well i have read it :) ...and many others...you might find this usefull as well:

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings#level

What it actually means is when you flag the level it should also apply the restrictions unless you force it...

so with these parameters (x264 native): high@ --level 4.1 --preset veryslow --tune film and dependent on the resolution you go for there should be a restriction on --ref which in this case doesnt happen ie...i get ref@16 on 1920x1080...

For a reference...both meGUI and Ripbot can execute this restrictions with only setting this parameters: high@ --level 4.1 --preset veryslow --tune film - which tells me its not a program feature but something x264 imposes when using its parameters...

Now its not user breaking but since i do have the ability to use x264 native options i would also like to well not think of the restriction but to have them automaticaly :) especially when you do multiply files and leave the comp running for a long period of time :) ...

Or maybe i am reading it all wrong...

D/L

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Yeah, sorry, I honestly don't know what the exact behavior should be here. I'm just passing these parameters to HandBrake for the encoding. Myself I've never tried to add a level restriction in this way.

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM

hi

can anybody tells me when to use, tune and all options means in it.,and what placebo preset will do?

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM

This is the best guide I could find for tune:

http://mewiki.project357.com/index.php?title=X264_Settings&oldid=3718

film is live action/CGI, animation is for 2D animation, grain is for grainy content, the others optimize in a certain way.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Hi!

At x264 settings section

if i put at profile : high this means that the converted video will have more quality? 

could you expain me what is with this section x264 section, but please do it in simple terms.

Sory from my english. I love your soft

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

You should use High profile if you can. It has the best compression but least player compatibility. Some devices don't support High profile so you might have to lower it to Main or Baseline to get it to play on a smartphone.