2 questions

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM

First - thanks for a GREAT application!

Question 1: My blueray player "upconverts" regular DVD's.  What settings can I use in this program to get similar results?  I'm encoding for playback on Windows media center and extenders.

Question 2: Is there any possibility that you'll put in the capability to "re-chapterize" a video?  If a video has no chapters, for example, allow me to have a chapter marker every 3 minutes or something?  The current "edit chapters" does not seem to allow anything like that.

Thanks for putting up with me - have a wonderful week!

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM

1) Well a lot of things can "upconvert" resolution. For instance if you play a DVD straight onto your HDTV, the HDTV has the job of doing the "upconversion" to its native resolution. VidCoder can also "upconvert" fairly simply if you just choose a higher storage resolution. The question is what kind of special algorithms are being used to fill in the "gaps" between the pixels of the original DVD (edge detection, etc). I don't believe HandBrake does anything special when scaling so you're probably best off just preserving the original resolution in VidCoder, and letting whatever player or display device you have do the "upconversion".

2) I don't believe the HandBrake API gives that capability.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Well, if you find any way to do the chapter thing, I'd much appreciate it!

As for the upconvert, my dvd player has a chip for that.  Software wise I've used SUPER, which has done a good job - just not sure how the algorythms and underlying encoder software in 'handbreak' will do.  Guess I'll have to give it a test.