Some ideas for the next updates

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Edited Nov 16, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Hi,

VidCoder is the best tool i've ever used. It's small, easy to work with and rly fast. Auto update is working and to create and save an own preset is a good idea.

I have some ideas for next updates:

1. Whats about GPU convert? It is possible to integrate this option?
Destination should be Destination Folder. I want choose folder without saving the file or changing filename. It's annoying to go to options --> File Naming and choose default folder.
3. "Add to queue" should be near the the "Video" and "Audio" option
4. Add an "Add all to queue" button. It's easier and faster to remove the files I don't wont to convert
5. I want select the files in the queue with my mouse by drag and drop 5. It could look like this: http://tinyurl.com/VidCod
6. Changing Title of the videos should be possible at the menu

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM

1. That's up to the HandBrake team. I just use their libraries.
2. That's an interesting thought. I'll consider this some more and see if I can come up with an option to work this in.
3. I don't agree here. I put all the buttons in one row to centralize all of the actions and give a consistent place for people to find them and give the interface a cleaner look.
4. There's a File -> "Enqueue multiple titles" option which should work for you. If you use the shortcut set the duration range it can be very fast to get all the titles you want.
5. You can already multi-select items in the queue by holding Ctrl and Shift when you click on them. You can then drag and drop these items.
6. I don't understand what you mean here. Do you mean changing which title is selected when you have a file loaded? What do you mean by "at the menu"?

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

1. Ah ok. VidCoder is already a fast tool
3+4. Yeah ok - i found the "Enqueue multiple titles" option. Would you add there an "add all files" button? I have DVD's with alot of titles and ittakes time to choose every title 1 by 1
5. Maybe i want select all files in queue to delete them. STRG+A works but can't remove them.
6. I meant queue sorry - i want rename the titles from the video files in queue and save them with this name.

How did you find my pic?^^

mgh

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM
bugmenot2 wrote:

3+4. Yeah ok - i found the "Enqueue multiple titles" option. Would you add there an "add all files" button? I have DVD's with alot of titles and ittakes time to choose every title 1 by 1

Check "automatically select titles between __ and __ minutes". When you have that selected, all of the relevant titles will already by selected when you open the dialog.

bugmenot2 wrote:

5. Maybe i want select all files in queue to delete them. STRG+A works but can't remove them.

That's a bug, thanks for pointing that out. You should be able to right click and delete them all. I'll fix that for the next version.

bugmenot2 wrote:

6. I meant queue sorry - i want rename the titles from the video files in queue and save them with this name.

You want to change the filename for items in the queue with a right-click context menu option? One at a time or in batch? And why not just use the auto-naming feature, or change the names before they're queued up? Or edit them and change the encode destination, then re-queue? What are you trying to accomplish here?

bugmenot2 wrote:

How did you find my pic?^^

I appreciate the enthusiasm behind making a UI mockup, though it's hard to tell what exactly what features and functionality you're requesting from it, and how important each one is. From the picture I'm guessing you want:

* Grouping individual titles by a separate "source" row - I probably won't be doing this: it doesn't add very much and makes queue operations a lot more complex. Do you still show the header for individual files, where there's only ever one queue item beneath them? Also the data grid is not friendly to that kind of layout so the view would be a lot more tricky.
* Check boxes on all rows - You can already do multi-select with Ctrl and Shift clicking so adding them would not be a very high priority to me. Especially since when you have both selection and checkboxes you get into sticky issues like which set of files to perform actions on (the selected files or the checked files?)
* Duration of source as a column - I can do this.
* Size/type - Is this supposed to be the projected output file size and type? The type should already be visible in the Destination path and the size is not something I can predict in the majority of circumstances. When you use Constant Quality video, which is the default on all presets and the best way to compress video, you cannot predict the output file size.