Minor feature requests...

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Hi,

Just updated to 1.2.6.  Two minor requests:

- There's a 'Recent' folder location.  I wonder if there can be an option to turn it on/off (like option to chk/unchk 'Remember recent folder').

- Audio option GUI :  I wonder there can be a 'border line' between each (target, not output) track so the settings belonging to the different target tracks can be easily distinguished.

Also a minor bug: 

For some odd reason, it still prompts me that there's an 'update' available even though I'm at 1.2.6.  

I was at 1.0.3, although I downloaded 1.2.6 separately to update (not thru' the auto-update prompt when I'm in the VidCoder app).  

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The first request I don't really understand why you'd want to turn that off. If it didn't remember where you were before, what folder should it choose to start off with? Would you want an explicit option to always start you there?

As for the audio options, I have considered some way to separate them a bit more. Right now it's with spacing but I thought I might try a gradient background like I do on the main window for separating different sections.

I'll investigate the bug about the auto-update notification after a manual update.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM

> Would you want an explicit option to always start you there?

This sounds like a good option -- to be able to always start at a certain fixed location. Hope that's not too much extra work for you.  Or just start like after a clean install (no location history, etc.).   (Or like 'clean up history after closing app').

But your idea sounds like a good one--the option to start at a fixed location.  

I'm not always able to trigger that auto-update after manual update.  Perhaps it happens after I've made some settings, etc.  Not sure how I managed to trigger that... .

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I think I found the update bug you were talking about. I put some checks in to stop it from opening that prompt when it's been updated manually. As for your feature request... I don't think it's going in. It seems like if you use one location a lot it will naturally be there most of the time without any extra configuration. It might save a little bit of time navigating back to that folder after you go somewhere else but I don't think it justifies the complexity.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM

That's too bad.  

Is there a way for me to manually 'clear up' the recent location history?  This is unfortunately adding more work for me since I have different src locations all the time.  There are also multiple people using the PC and I would also need to do regular cleanup.  That's also good for everyone's privacy.

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM

The settings are stored as user variables so if the other user has their own account they would be able to have different "recently used" folders. If you'd like to manually examine and clean the data, it's in a user.config file under %localappdata%\VidCoder . Also if you have different source locations all the time, wouldn't you still need to switch folders then?

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

That's why personally I don't use the 'Recent' feature myself, rather I always just click on the 'DVD Folder'button all the times.   :-)

But for now, my thinking is more for multiple people sharing the app.  Sometimes more than one person is using the app under same login, so the 'not remembering history' is a actually a more handy feature... .   Many video apps have this history cleanup feature also... .

No worry, I'll just make a short cut to the localapp data folder for now and do the manual history cleanup... .

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM

BTW, another subject:

I just encoded a video using VidCoder.  I set video settings to constant quality 18.  But the output video tag says crf=20 (I used MediaInfo).  Does this sound correct?  Or am I reading the wrong tag?

Thx.

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Either HandBrake wrote the tag wrong or MediaInfo is reading it wrong. You can tell by the filesize and video quality if the CRF change worked.

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM

1.3.0 is out. Update bug should be fixed and the audio encodings should stand apart better.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Thx--I'll get the update and the fixes. :-)