Intel 'Quick Sync'

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Hi,  can anyone tell me if the Quick Sync hardware x264 encoding acceleration on the forthcoming Intel Ivy Bridge processors will be supported by Vidcoder?

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Given that VidCoder is just a Front-end (GUI) for Handbrake, (and an excellent one at that) Quick Sync would be beyond the scope of it's development.  Any feature that relates to implementing hardware support would be something that needs to be done by the Handbrake team.  If it gets implemented in Handbrake, then VidCoder will likely provide an interface to use it, should one be necessary. 

If you want to request the feature be added to Handbrake then go here.  If the developers of handbrake feel it's worth their time they might work on it, but it would likely be quite awhile until it's fully supported.

Quick Sync has been around for a while now with Sandy Bridge, and there is little to no support for it outside of commercial products.  So unless it's been really difficult to implement ,and I just haven't heard about it, it's likely that almost no one is working on it at the moment.  It is more likely that OpenCL or Direct Compute will be used to provide hardware encoding support in the future as they are hardware agnostic, where currently Quick Sync is proprietary and not as well documented.   

The other problem with Quick Sync, and other hardware accelerated techniques, is that currently they don't make the best encodes.  That's not to say that they are completely horrendous, some are quite good actually, but more often then not better quality, and compression are possible with software encoding.  As a result most programmers focus on software based encoding.

Hope this helps

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. It's a shame that high quality acceleration is not available. The Handbrake devs have previously ruled out any GPU based acceleration in a reply to one of my queries. It's disappointing that Quick Sync has not been useful to Handbrake/vidcoder and offers little potential.