Portable VidCoder? "Target size"?

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I have two questions:

- Any plans for portable version of VidCoder?

- What will going on with "target size", now that Handbrake dropped that useful option?

Thank you.

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Current plans are to keep target size around as long as I can support it. I ported over the size calculation logic from HandBrake and though it's not perfect a lot of people like the feature.

About the portable version: not currently but some "volunteers" have made portable versions of it. Though I think those versions still require the .NET framework to be installed on the machine you're running it on.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Tnx for info.

Please consider portable version(if that is not so big problem), cause
than VidCoder can be used from USB flash, or even from cellphone's
memory card.

About "target size" - hope you will keep it for a loooong time :)
Dec 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Bloody legend! I've been using the old version of HB since the idiots ditched target size but it's got a few bugs.

Thanks to your work I can upgrade, and still keep target size (without it I probably wouldn't use x264, I''d use a format that had an app supporting sizes!)

Hope you keep up the good work.. I'm a convert!

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Hi RandomEngy,

Really pleased with VidCoder so far, very intuitive interface:)

A Google search of a portable version yields sketchy results. Do you know where i could find a trustworthy source?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Nope, sorry. I actually haven't tried any of the portable versions out there for that very reason. Use at your own risk!
Mar 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll give the risk a miss for now, I can always create my own with auto hotkey. Hope that you may consider a portable version one day:)

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Give the portable version in 1.4.15 Beta a try. Note that you'll still need to have .NET Framework 4 Client Profile if you're running on a Windows version earlier than 8. Getting the .NET framework to immediately install isn't really something you can do. :P
Mar 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Wow, thanks very much for creating a portable version! I'm sure this will boost the popularity & flexibility of this already well designed program.

Thanks very much for the great support:)
Mar 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Hi RandomEngy,

Works really well! Looks like it unpacks to user's temp folder using rar sfx. I have created my own Very High Quality profile & imported it into the portable version, however, it seems that these settings are retained outside of the portable environment & will not be present across multiple machines, which i work with. It seems that they are stored in a file called vidcoder.sqlite in Roaming\VidCoder\ directory. As a last piece to being portable, would it be possible to store these settings in the temp directory, then import back to the VidCoder-x.xx.x.x.-Portable.exe?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Probably not. The portable exe is created with WinRAR, which we don't have access to at runtime. In any event there's going to be no clean way to edit it on the fly, even assuming it's not locked for editing. Maybe I could change the .sqlite path to beside the original executable, but I don't know of any way of finding that original path once I'm in the app. Since the .sqlite is in the Roaming folder, maybe you could use the same windows login and have the settings roam with you.
Mar 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Hi RandomEngy,

To avoid unnecessary overhead with creating multiple versions of VidCoder, would it be possible to create an option within the installer GUI or the application GUI to host all settings within the application directory (same as executable). Although we will not get away with .net v4 being installed, at least the VidCoder directory could be copied across machines/USB devices & when executed, run with settings intact?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Well by default it installs to Program Files, which apps do not have permission to write to. I could add a setting in VidCoder.exe.config that changes where it looks for the app files though. That way you could change it to store the sqlite file in the same directory. Though you'd probably have to turn off auto-updates because they'd no longer work.
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Perfect!
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I added the capability to do this in 1.4.16 Beta. Go to VidCoder.exe.config and VidCoderWorker.exe.config and uncomment the specified line.
Mar 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Yep, now it's perfect! The settings are portable now & will never need setting up again. Great job!!