Problem with M4V files

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I have been using Vidcoder with great sucess encoding DVDs to M4V files which I can play with most any video player. I decided to try my luck with Blu-ray and encountered major problems. I replaced my Sony DVD drive in my computer with a new Sony Blu-ray drive which plays Blu-ray discs just fine although I am surprised WMP will not read BD, but there are lots of media players that will. VLC Media Players works just fine. I ripped a Blu-ray movie to my hard drive and used Vidcoder to create a M4V file (turned out to be about 4GB). There were no errors, but when I tried to play the M4V file, there was not one media player that would read it. I tried 6 different players including WMP. All I got was errors. M4V files created when ripping a DVDs using Vidcoder work just fine on just about any player. I can watch them on my HDTV using my Roku box. Renaming M4V to MP4 doesn't help. Any ideas why I can't read M4V files created from Blu-ray discs? Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Do you get errors with MP4 or MKV? Did you try setting the Large File Size flag?

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

RandomEngy,

I think you have solved my problem! I tried a new encode of the same BD but ticking Large File Size. I left the container at M4V. The resulting M4V file now plays flawlessly on most common media file players, including WMP. The file size is 4,430,965 KB. I just have to remember to tick Large File Size whenever encoding a BD! Is there any advantage to using MKV as a container instead of M4V or MP4? Thanks so much for your help. VidCoder is a winner!

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2012 at 5:08 AM

:)

MKV is a bit more flexible and it can accept more audio formats but MP4 is more compatible... consoles and smartphones can play it. If you're just playing back on the PC and either one is going to work fine.