Subtitles by default

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Hi,

thanks for making such a great program.

Is there a way of loading either SRT or internal subtitles files (i.e., in a bluray stream or MKV file) automatically?

If not, can this be added, along with a feature to choose which language to load by default?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Apr 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Tools -> Options -> Audio / Subtitles. Select your preferred language and it will automatically load subtitles for it.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Thanks, but that does not load them.  I have set my preferred language to English, and it does not load the English subtitles (under the options I have "Use preferred language to audio track (dubbing)" set).

When I try the other option, "use foreign language for audio track and preferred language subtitles"I get the same result.

Neither option loads anything either unless I actually click on the "Edit" button next to subtitles.

Here's a snippet of the log that shows the program is aware of the subtitle, but after that, I get nothing.

[14:58:07] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '\\kore\Family\Alvin and the Chipmunks, Chipwrecked (2011)\Alvin And The Chipmunks Chipwrecked.mkv':
  Duration: 01:27:11.12, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1536 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1040, PAR 1:1 DAR 24:13, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
    Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: dca (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 1536 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      title           : english
    Stream #0.2(eng): Subtitle: [0][0][0][0] / 0x0000 (default)

Thanks in advance for any assistance, I like the program and I'm sure it's something in my config, but I can't nail it down.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Ooh! Ooh!  Update: The subtitles don't load for the FIRST file, but once loading them manually and adding it to the queue, the subtitles will load for the second and next files, until there are no more files that have subtitles in the default language, after which the issue manifests itself again.

Hope that helps...

Cheers.

Coordinator
Apr 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Just tried it and yeah it does look broken at the moment. I'll take a look at the issue for the next version.

Thanks for the report.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:13 AM

You're very welcome.  If you could make it possible to load two languages at once by default that would be cool too (i.e., Eng and Und or Eng and Fr)

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I have been thinking about overhauling the dialog to match what HandBrake has. What do you mean by "Und"?

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM

"und" - undetermined :-)

instead of matching Handbrake, if you could offer an advanced panel that actually showed more advanced options and let the user set them, that would be great.  I know you can add them in to the options string under the advanced panel, but drop down boxes with an explanation would be helpful.

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM

So it would be picked if the language of the track was unknown? Okay. As for the advanced options, I'd have to know which ones you wanted (and then see if I have room for them :P)

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Yes, if it was undetermined, it would be nice to be able to pick it automatically in addition to one's native language. 

As for advanced options, check out Staxrip... see what Stax has in there.  i don't think VidCoder or Staxrip has "rate tolerance" as a drop down, that one would be nice to see.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Is there a way to softcode the subtitles in without the srt files?? I have downloaded files with this option before I just don't know how to do it.
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
You can softcode source subtitles. Just don't check the "Burn in" option.