suggestion: chapter preview

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I rip a lot of documentaries and frequently enter custom chapter names. This can be a time consuming and tedious task so it is nice to be able to visually confirm that the chapter start agrees with the custom chapter name. I see no way to do this with VidCoder. Would you please consider enhancing the preview window to permit us to play the source (not yet encoded) video and to skip forwards and backwards through the chapters. Ideally the previewed chapter would be selected by editing the corresponding chapter name. For an example, Nero Recode does a nice job of this.

You identified a similar deficiency in Handbrake for visually verifying crop settings and did a great job of addressing this.

Thanks for a great product!

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2012 at 6:32 AM

It's a good idea but the HandBrake APIs only expose a few static previews and don't let you see video data at every point or play the source video. If I wanted to build that into VidCoder I'd be wrangling with dozens of different video codecs and it would take forever. Would it be helpful to offer an option to open the source file in an external media player?

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Rats, that's too bad. If it's easy to add an option to launch the default viewer to view the source then please consider it. If it's hard, don't bother because I can open the source myself. Since I will have to use an external viewer to confirm chapters, it would be more helpful for you to enhance the chapter name editing dialog to show the chapter start times so I could quickly compare these times with the external viewer. Thanks.

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM

The button to play the source file should be pretty easy to add. Should work for most non blu-ray sources. Putting the chapter times in the editing dialog sounds like a good idea as well. I'll put both on the backlog.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Excellent thanks.