hard subbing not supported?

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Why does vidcoder can't hard sub videos? It only embeds them on videos not hard subbing them.

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

VidCoder uses HandBrake functionality here. It can't hard-sub imported .srt files but it can hard-sub if the subtitles come from the source video.

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Random,

I just played around with a nightly build of handbrake to try to figure out how to get hardsubs into my video for the iPad and it worked. The nightly builds now have support for figuring out that there are subtitles in the Blu-ray directory tree. I find this extremely useful because of the fact that I rip my video for my XBMC system then I convert them for the various iPad/iPhones we have in our family... the later is a problem when it comes to movies that have forced subtitles... What I've recently figured out and verified is that I can use SlyFox to just rip the Blu-ray and then move that whole Blu-ray directory to my server. XBMC will stream that perfectly well... so I ran a test with handbrake and was able to convert a movie and select the subtitle track to hardburn into the movie... 

It would be useful if we could get this functionality pulled into vidcode to automatically list the subtitles (further useful if it could give a preview of the subtitles so we could figure out which one to use if there is a conflict).

David

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yep, I'm planning on doing this. Want to make a few other changes then I'll update to the version of HandBrake that supports PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Out of curiosity, do you know if it is possible to preview the different PGS subtitles to figure out which one to grab (in the case when there are multiple of a particular language)?

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM

I don't think you can do that through the HandBrake API. You could always encode a clip and see what subtitles show up.