Best audio setting

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Hi,

I have a music DVD that I want to rip with the best audio settings possible, both for 5.1 and/or stereo listening. If I choose Codec AAC (faac) > Mixdown > 6-channel discrete I get the choice to decode at 768 kbps, and if I choose Dolby Pro Logic II or Stereo I only can reach 320 kbps as the output rate. Can someone please clarify to a newbie in video decoding what setting is recommendable concerning maximum audio quality?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Dolby Pro Logic II is flattening the audio down to 2 channels, but in such a way that it can be split back out to 5 channels again. That's why the max bitrate is lower: you get less per channel.

To get the best audio possible you would want to just do a Passthrough of the current audio: that will preserve it in its original form.

If you need to re-encode, 6-channel discrete is the best choice for maintaining quality (since you are preserving all 6 channels).

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM

So what Codec Passthru option is the best/preferable? And as I understand you can have several target streams, in my case one 6-channel discrete and one passthru. Correct?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM

"Auto Passthru" is the most useful as it will pass through anything it can. A reason you might want to re-encode instead of passthrough might be player incompatibility with the source audio. As you mention you could have two encodings and end up with two streams in your file if you want to try and cover all the bases.

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM

What codec do you recommend when choosing 6-channel discrete or Dolby Pro Logic II?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM

AC3 for 6-channel, FAAC for DPL2.