RAW audio files on a dvd

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I just ran into a problem I had with some content from the same kind of source.  The source is opera which seems to use a file format not easily transferred using regular tools such as dvd fab.

I had noticed this in a previous attempt at capturing some classical music.

How does  Vidcoder handle these odd file forms?  The audio TS files from the source dvd could not be opened in any way to reveal why the picture transferred in the usual way using DVDFab but no audio was present.

 

I have used Vidcoder a bit.  The goal with this project is to get both audio and the English subtitle file from the original and hard code it.  The original is not hard coded because I had to select on the menu for subtitle.

 

 

 

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2012 at 4:23 AM

VidCoder uses HandBrake to read the video files, which in turn calls some open source libraries. I don't know offhand if they can read RAW files. As for hard coding subtitles, you want to use the "Burn in" option in the subtitles dialog.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM
I have a little better description of the problem today.

The audio source file is PCM/2 audio. Can Handbrake/Vidcoder decode
PCM/2 audio?

Also, last time I worked with mkv files I learned that I should do the
decode on the lowest speed settings. Please refresh me on
how to minimize read speed in Vidcoder/Handbrake.

In looking up answers to questions on DVDSFab with this problem, I see
that PCM/2 has presented problems for others using that program and
that, again, it seems to be in musical performance content.
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I'm pretty sure it can do PCM. I don't know what PCM/2 is.

Also I do not know what you mean by "read speed" or why you would want to minimize it.

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Last time I was working with mkv files and it's programs my cpu temp
went way up-- up to the limit of safe operation at which point I simply
shut everything down to avoid damage to system. An idea I had was that
my fan speed was too slow. It's normally slow to avoid noise. Perhaps
this time through I'll customize the fan setup and get more air on the
heatsink.
Nov 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I have had success in getting both audio and hard subbed English on this
project. But I had to try a couple of options in Vidcoder.
The "forced sub" option for "small bits of dialog in another language"
as the program describes it id not get any subs in at all. However the
"burned in" hard sub option now displays the original source subtitles.
This is also required when viewing the dvd: English subs has to be
selected in the menu setup.
Nov 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Followup to a successful encode:

I see that now that I have the subtitle and audio settings working, I
need to shave down the size as much as possible.
Low quality (which I tried first) gave an unviewable pixelated jaggy
picture. Moving to high quality I have a viewable 6Gb file.

The content with mp3 audio suitable for voice on this documentary piece
is all that is needed for this job.
The length is 1 hr 53 minutes.

What is a workable quality setting or settings to get this down to 1.5
Gb if possible? I will try a mid quality setting by degrees to see if I
can find something close in the meantime.


The temperature on this 3 core AMD held at 62d but I had to change fans
on my setup. All three cores run at nearly 100% on these jobs.

System under discussion

AMD Athlon II x3 450 Regor 3.2 Ghz
MSI 880GM-E41 mainboard
Kingston DDR3 Hyperx/fb 2x2Gb
Seagate Baracuda 160Gb IDE HD
Logisys 480w Power supply
USB mouse
corded keyboard
using onboard video by ATI
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Play with the Constant Quality slider. I'd start with 20 and slowly increase the number until you don't like the quality anymore. Use the "encode preview clip" button to get an idea of the quality without having to encode the whole thing.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Well I have what I want to the best of my ability. What I didn't
understand in making the "quality" was confusing it with "percentage"
of file size. Reducing the content size to half the quality got a very
acceptable file size of 570 mb. I still don't know enough about
Vidcoder encoding to know why it required less steps than I thought.

I want to proceed to yet another music drama and see if I can duplicate
the process while asking fewer questions now that
I've seen the program work. The other music drama (opera) gave me the
same problem in trying to encode it. I will give that another try and
report back.

Thanks for your help and generous sharing of programming talent in this
software.
Nov 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM
On inspecting my 580mb file of the 155 minute content I noticed some --
how to describe it? --motion lapses like in a mouse gesturing that
follows the pattern of the movement on a screen. Rather than using the
"quality" slider can I change the "constant quality" numerically? I see
a setting for numeric output but I don't know how fixed output relates
to "constant quality." This would allow me to incrementally increase
the size without having it get to large.
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Yes, you can type numbers in to edit Constant Quality.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM
I'm confused by "target size" in which I could put 1.3gb and constant
quality which looks like a percentage. It looks to be a case of one or
the other and I'd prefer size control with _some_ quality.
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Constant quality is not a "percentage". It's an arbitrary number that measures the quality of the picture you get out of the encode (measured by how closely the output picture resembles the source picture). You decrease this number and the quality gets better (with higher file sizes), and increase it and the quality gets worse (with lower file sizes).

I've written a wiki page explaining the video quality options fully.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
ok I will look at the page