Integrate Chapter Names and Bitrate Calc

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:50 AM

I'm the author of ChapterGrabber and Bitrate Calculator. Would you be interested in a merge of either functionality?

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Hmm, somewhat interested. VidCoder does a bit of bitrate calculation internally but it can only do so much. The HandBrake API doesn't always report the input bitrate of an audio track that's being copied over, and you can do quality-targeting for audio compression, which means you don't know the size of the audio. I'm not sure how much improvement could be made given those limitations. Anyway I think targeting quality for video compression is much better anyway so I don't want to devote a whole lot of UI to the task.

The chapter grabbing seems more promising. I figure we could just do a search in the background for the DVD when you open the chapters dialog where they can pick the most promising result and it auto-fills the chapter names based on that.

What inputs does it take to grab the chapter list? What libraries would be required?

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I also manage chapterdb.org and I utilize a playlist hash algorithm on DVD and Bluray. If there is an exact match it could be possible to load the chapter names automatically.

The chapter extraction works on DVD, Bluray, and HDDVD without external libraries and is pure C# code.

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Okay. What inputs does this "playlist hash algorithm" need? The title of the DVD/Bluray? The lengths of the chapters? Do the libraries read the disc directly?