Working with VOB files

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I have used Vidcoder with MakeMKV on DVD's.

Now I have a TS Video folder with VOB sets and wish to process to h264. Some tutorials on Handbrake seemed to lead nowhere yet the authors say Handbrake/Vidcoder can do this task.

Please give a step by step on how to do this.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM
What have you tried? There aren't very many steps required; open the folder, pick a title and go.
Mar 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM
There was a bit of previous discussion on this that I was able to look up. The error message displayed in red says: An error encountered while scanning No doubt this message is in VC for a reason. It seemed to stop at a BUP which is a backup file is it
not? Anyway it stops me every time if I try to load the TS folder, the ifo or the initial VOB. I have some of the Vidcoder tutorial printed out but just the setup. Can you explain what causes the error? Does it have to do with improper file cleaning or preparation?
I can redo the source Video TS set with the usual tools if that is necessary.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Edited Mar 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM
If you're trying to rip a DVD/Blu-ray make sure you're removing the encryption beforehand. If you're still getting an error on scan, that's probably happening inside HandBrake itself. Please see http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Submitting%20bug%20reports
Mar 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I have bypassed the error now and have loaded the _01 VOB file in the set. VC is processing and should pick up the additional VOB items in the set for the complete movie (in this case.) I moved de interlace, detelecine etc to their default values from
'off' for this test. What special settings would enhance or sharpen a black and white original? My experimenting with Preview view did not show much change.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Edited Mar 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Preview is really only good for showing resolution, cropping and aspect ratio changes. It doesn't push the frame through the actual encoder. For black and white I would go to Video Filters and check "Grayscale encoding". Other than that the default encoder settings should do pretty well with it.
Mar 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I made this first practive run with just the _01 VOB from a short set of 3. It appears that the other two were not picked up by the program and joined. Do they have to be added to the queue and what is the procedure to get the whole job completed?
Coordinator
Mar 29, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Usually you load up the whole folder and pick a title. From the title it knows how to stitch the VOBs together. If loading in the folder/disc isn't working I don't have any advice for you.