High Profile Xbox 360 Preset?

May 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Hey,
I'm trying to make a high profile preset for Xbox 360 optimized for 1080p streaming via. DLNA.. Any good hints and tips?
PS: I'll upload the preset for others to use :)
Coordinator
May 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM
I was researching this a bit before but got hung up on testing. From what I understand you want H.264 Profile: High, H.264 Level: 4.1 and an MP4 container. I got a bit hung up on the audio: I heard that it didn't support 5.1 AC3 but was unable to verify. Will consider including the profile in VidCoder if you can get it working reliably.
May 21, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I'm testing it out now - however it'll take some time as each encode takes about 2 - 3 hours.. There is surround support but that's through downmixing AC3 5.1 to AAC Dolby Pro Logic 2..
May 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Edited May 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Finally!! After ALOT of encoding jobs and testing, I think I've found the best settings for Full HD video content on Xbox 360.. I've uploaded the preset here: http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/69676831/file.html

What I've learned:
  • Xbox 360 doesn't support the High Profile-default settings in VidCoder, there is however a workaround as Xbox 360 does support the H.264 High Profile option.
  • The max H.264 level supported is 4.1
  • Max framerate under Xbox 360 on 1080p video is 30 fps
  • Xbox 360 supports Dolby Digital (AC3) and Dolby Pro Logic II downmixed
  • The max file size supported is 4Gb - however - you can bypass this limit by "pushing" content to the Xbox 360 from a Windows PC, using the Xbox 360 as a Digital Media Player via., e.g., Windows Media Player.
  • Normal Profile works fine on the Xbox - but the video quality isn't that good.
Note:
  • For videos that exceeds 1 hour, you have to split that video up into 2 parts. You can do this by navgating to dropdown box on "Video:" and choosing "Time Range". Now choose the length of time for Part 1 in the blue bar and click "Add to Queue" and repeat for Part 2.
  • You can, at the expense of some video quality, use the "Target Size"-settings in the "Settings"-window under the tab, "Video", to force the video in under 4Gb. It's HIGHLY recommended that you enable "2-pass Encoding" and "Turbo First Pass". Also remove any unnecessary audio tracks in the tab "Audio" - this might be, e.g., AC3-passthrough if you don't have a Dolby Digital-surround sound Theater system or removing Dolby Pro Logic II if you do have a Dolby Digital-surround sound system.
  • You can use "Target Size" for videos about 1 - 1½ hour long. For 2 hour+ movies you'll have to split the videos in order to make the video-quality watchable or resize the video to 720p.
What is this preset all about?
The current High Profile preset in VidCoder encodes the videos in such a way, that the Xbox 360 cannot play them. This preset ensures all 1080p video - as long as they are under 4Gb - can be played on your Xbox 360 in the best possible detail.
The preset tweaks framerate not to exceed 30fps, sets the H.264 Profile @ High, H.264 Level @ 4.1, encoding speed @ Default, and uses Constant Quality @ 20. Finally to compress further sets Adaptive B-frames @ Optimal, Adaptive Direct Mode @ Automatic and ensure no unwanted interlaced pictures get into the final product, Decomb @ Default. The Xbox-profile is expanded from the Normal Profil from VidCoder.

If you have a better setting or suggestion for the Xbox - please - download, tweak, and upload it here!
  • Relhak
Coordinator
May 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Cool!

I noticed you have an AC3 passthrough encoding. If the source is 5.1 AC3 that would result in 5.1 AC3 in the output file. Would the Xbox support it?

I noticed that their support page on the matter only mentions 2-channel AAC as supported: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/watch-dvds-movies .

Also just curious: how are you doing the DLNA streaming? I got video streaming set up to the Xbox but that's by using it as a media center extender, which cheats by doing special magic to the video I think.
May 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Edited May 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM
RandomEngy wrote:
Cool!

I noticed you have an AC3 passthrough encoding. If the source is 5.1 AC3 that would result in 5.1 AC3 in the output file. Would the Xbox support it?
Yup! The Xbox 360 does support AC3 (Dolby Digital) just be sure that your Xbox, TV and Home Theater System is set up to it. The Xbox 360 can be setup to AC3 by navigating: Dashboard > Settings > System > Console Settings > Audio > Digital Output > Dolby Digital 5.1. Your TV should have a S/PDIF or HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel) to your Dolby Digital enabled Home Theater System - which is set to AUX, External or S/PDIF.

RandomEngy wrote:
I noticed that their support page on the matter only mentions 2-channel AAC as supported: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/watch-dvds-movies .
Typical Microsoft not to know what their own products support :P

RandomEngy wrote:
Also just curious: how are you doing the DLNA streaming? I got video streaming set up to the Xbox but that's by using it as a media center extender, which cheats by doing special magic to the video I think.
I'm doing the DLNA streaming by COMPLETELY avoiding the laggy mess called media center extender :P (Which Win8 doesn't support). I use the built-in System Video Player-app, which you can find by going to Dashboard > TV & movies > My Video Apps > System Video Player. Now you should see a list of DLNA Media Serves (this can be NAS Serves, Phones, PC etc.). I recommend using wired CAT6 gigabit Ethernet from you Xbox -> router -> media server when streaming. It's the only way to avoid choppy video - especially at 1080p.

Edit: Yeah it cheats by pushing content to the Xbox - that way you can watch movies larger that 4Gb via., your MCE
Coordinator
May 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I'll test this out and see if I can get this added as a built-in preset.
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Alright I've tested it out. Will be in the next version.
Jun 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Awesome ;)
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Okay it's in 1.4.22.
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:14 AM
For what it's worth, I just realized I need to re-encode my bluray rips with Windows Media Center 8. While these rips worked beautifully in WMC7 (and thanks to Vidcoder), the 4.1 h264 level is being enforced when streaming to the Xbox 360 with WMC. Using the system video player doesn't work with my old rips either.

On the plus side, the rips look fantastic and I can now fast forward (amazingly enough). I also get 5.1 discrete sound out by using AC3 vs AAC.

The settings I use are:
x264 preset: slow
x264 tune film
h264 profile automatic
h264 level 4.1
Constant quality at 17.5
Constant framerate (same as source)

and advanced settings that yield: mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:ref=7:bframes=6:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:b-pyramid=strict:me=umh:subme=10:merange=64:analyse=all:trellis=2:psy-rd=1.4,0.40