Difference on VidCoder and Handbrake?

May 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Edited May 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Hey guys,
Could someone outline the most important differences on handbrake and vidcoder, besides the GUI?
Edit: And yes, I know VidCoder is based on Handbrake - but is there anything significant different?
Coordinator
May 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM
In terms of encoding behavior they should be identical. VidCoder calls directly into hb.dll and HandBrake goes through the CLI, so VidCoder is a bit closer to the HB core. That's why it gets instant static previews and has the ability to pause and resume encodes.

It's also got a bunch of convenience features that HandBrake doesn't have like batching.
May 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Edited May 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Okay - that clears things up abit.. I also found this which answered my question pretty good :) http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-154179.html - and as a user posts - VidCoder has auto-update which is a BIG plus :)
How long does it take for VidCoder to be updated when there's released a handbrake version?
Edit: Anyone knows how long till Handbrake gets video card accelerated encoding?
Coordinator
May 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Well HandBrake releases a stable version maybe twice a year... VidCoder updates very soon after those. In this case it was the same day. For the nightly releases I have a Beta track for VidCoder and update that maybe 1-2 times per month.

As for the accelerated encoding, I'll definitely have a beta out with that when it gets into the nightly releases in HandBrake.
May 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM
RandomEngy wrote:
As for the accelerated encoding, I'll definitely have a beta out with that when it gets into the nightly releases in HandBrake.
Hey just found a post on handbrake.fr which indicates that there might be OpenCL support (ie hardware acceleration). https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HardwareAcceleration
Coordinator
May 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Yes they have two special branches out to do OpenCL acceleration and Intel QuickSync acceleration, but they're not in the main branch yet.