Audio passthrough does not work but in Handbrake does

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Hello. I just installed VidCoder yesterday for the first time after using for months Handbrake.

I noticed that, opening an MPG movie (MPEG-2 video + MP2 2-channels audio) and selecting "Auto passthrough" in the "Encoding > Settings > Audio > Codec", an error message appears: "Passthrough does not work for this input codec; the track has been dropped".
This happens both selecting MP4 and MKV as container format.

Why? In Handbrake there's no such problem and I usually encode MP4 movies with x264 compressed video and the original MP2 stereo audio stream.

I was going to switch to VidCoder because of some better features if compared with Handbrake, but I need the audio copy.

Thank you, have a nice day.
Andrew
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Can you provide an encode log for both HandBrake and VidCoder? Or send over a clip so I can reproduce the problem?
Jun 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Deleted unuseful message.
Jun 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Jun 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Jun 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Ok, I understand. Handbrake re-encodes the MP2 audio track to AC-3 even if Auto-passthrough is enabled. So VidCoder is clearer than Handbrake.
Jul 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Hi Andrew,

I found Vidcoder today and am trying it out. I definitely love the fact that the preview frame is back, and I can see the cropping before encoding... I also like the fact that Foreign Audio search for forced subtitles and burn in can be set in the options as a default...that is GREAT!

Here is the challenge...especially for those of us trying to use Blu-Ray to Apple TV 3 (or similar)...

For Apple's eco-system, the first audio track should be AAC...this is no problem either in handbrake or vidcoder. If you use the the default, both programs will re-encode track one (say the DTS track on a Blu-Ray) to AAC.

The problem comes in with Vidcoder's handling of the second track. In Handbrake (.99) if you select the DTS input track and tell it to output AC3 passthru (which is the default setting for the Apple TV 3 preset in Handbrake), it will automatically re-encode the DTS track to a Dolby Digitial 5.1 AC3 track.

In Vidcoder v1.4.23.0 (x64) which I downloaded and am trying today, it simply drops the second audio track instead of re-encoding the DTS to AC3 5.1. This is a huge problem for me, as I need to have both AAC as track one (to play on iPad/iPhone, etc), and the 2nd track as AC3 5.1 Dolby Digital for Apple TV.

I've been encoding my Blu-Rays for months now using Handbrake, and have close to 2TB of 1080p rips with both AAC( Stereo) and AC3 (DD5.1) audio tracks. I actually moved to the handbrake nightly builds last year specifically for this feature of auto-re-encode to AC3 (from DTS) to make my life MUCH easier...(well that and the Foreign Audio Search feature for subtitles). Now that Handbrake added both features to .99 recent release, I have moved to that official release build... (Oh, and in case anybody is wondering, the DTS to AC3 conversion sounds phenomenal on my calibrated Onkyo TX-NR809 Audyssey DD5.1 Surround Sound set-up. One example is my Rip of my Eagles Live From Melbourne Blu-Ray...the concert sounds absolutely GREAT in DD5.1 as converted by Handbrake .99.)

Unfortunately, since Vidcoder does not appear to support this function, I can't see switching from Handbrake. It is too important for those of us wanting to rip to Apple x.264 eco-system enabled .m4v files to support the "highest common denominator" features of multiple Apple devices. (Oh, and the resulting .m4v files play just fine on my android devices as well...so even they support the format...)

Since Handbrake already support this feature, is there any way to add it to Vidcoder?
Jul 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Hi Siggyceline. Please ask the experts, I just opened VidCoder a few times to see how it worked.
Thank you, have a good day.
Jul 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Andrew223 wrote:
Hi Siggyceline. Please ask the experts, I just opened VidCoder a few times to see how it worked.
Thank you, have a good day.
Hi Andrew,

No worries...I grabbed the wrong Screen-name to direct my comment...I meant to write to RandomEngy.

Anyway, it is moot...I've spent some more time with VidCoder and found the work-around...which is pretty straightforward...

To accommodate the 2nd audio track to be encoded from DTS to AC3 (DD5.1) you just need to add the track (DTS) you want to encode (as 2nd audio track), and then select AC3 (instead of the Apple TV 3 default of "AC3 Passthru"), and then set to 5.1 Mixdown. I'm running an encode test right now, and will compare to Handbrake .99 with the same encoder settings and report back.

The difference (and nice feature IMHO) with Handbrake v.99 is that the Apple TV 3 Preset will just automatically do the DTS to AC3 5.1 encode for the 2nd Audio track, without you having to set it in the case where the original track is DTS. This makes it nice, as you don't have to screw with it when encoding...if your source is already AC3 DD5.1, it will already be set in the Preset and simply pass it through...but if it is DTS, the same setting works to automatically re-encode to AC3 without having to check or specifically set the option to AC3 5.1 Mixdown.
Jul 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to follow-up on my evaluation of Vidcoder.

Short Answer: AWESOME front end for Handbrake! HIGHLY Recommended for Windows Users!

Long Answer:

The Encoding quality is every bit as good (for me) for my setup. Output is BEAUTIFUL from my Apple TV to my (new!) Vizio m701d-A3 70" TV. (Set at 1080p). DD5.1 (from original DTS track) sounds great. File size is reasonable, and quite in-line with a regular Handbrake rip. No difference there at all.

So all said, I'm switching to Vidcoder! Great job, and THANK YOU for bringing back the still frame preview window....

Oh, one other thing I wanted to mention... In handbrake when you switch discs, you have to manually click the "Source" button to rescan the new disc. NOT SO with Vidcoder....it AUTOMATICALLY scans and queues up the proper (mostly) title! It also applies your previous rip settings to the new title, so you don't have reset anything if the disc titles are similarly encoded on the Blu-ray.

Bottom line: It looks to me like Vidcoder is a FAR superior front end for Handbrake than the official release. The fact that it is 100% freeware (w/donations to Against Malaria Foundation appreciated) is well...almost unbelievable to see such quality from freeware in this day and age! After using this, I believe Vidcoder needs to get more press and reviews...it is THAT good.