Set default processor affinity

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Hi all,

Is it possible to add a preference option to tell VidCoderWorker to only run on certain processor cores? It would be great to not have to reset this every time via task manager.

Thanks! Will.
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Is it important that you be able to pick the specific cores to have affinity to, or do you just want to limit the process to using a certain number of cores?
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I want to limit it to, say, 10 of 12 cores - that way, I can have my rips running, while my machine remains (mostly) responsive. I don't care about limiting it to cores 2-11, for instance...
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Have you tried using the process priority option? That's exactly what it's supposed to do: yield the CPU to other tasks when they ask for them. In my experience it's very good at getting out of the way and letting other processes do their thing.
Jun 25, 2013 at 3:16 AM
I've tried playing with it, without much success - so far my best solution has been to set the worker to high priority, but peel off two cores for the computer. I'll play around with the worker priority option a but more and see if that gets me what I'm looking for. Thanks! Will.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:07 AM
You'd want to set it to a lower priority for it to share processor cycles with the computer better.
Apr 26 at 12:23 AM
WillTschumy wrote:
I want to limit it to, say, 10 of 12 cores - that way, I can have my rips running, while my machine remains (mostly) responsive. I don't care about limiting it to cores 2-11, for instance...
Same request here. I don't care on which cores too. Unfortunately, process priority is not an option. I run VidCoder on a Server having some virtualized servers on it. Using Hyper-V. As far as I know, the Hyper-V host partition doesn't have an idea what happen inside the guest partitions. Limit the VidCoder worker process to only some cores would help me to have my virtualized server responsive while encoding during night.
Another option could be to throttle the VidCoder WP based on the guest CPU usage (Performance counters). From my point of view, this is not worth the coding.

Actually I run VidCoder without the WP option. This allows me at least to change the Process Affinity only once after start and then queue my nightly encoding list.

Thank you for your time
buki
Coordinator
May 7 at 4:40 AM
Hmm. This looks like something that's doable. Would you need to set the specific cores it's allowed to run on? Or do you just care that some number or percentage of them are enabled?