Preparing the DVD

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I'm a regular lurker at Vidcoder but have not used it while pursuing other encode routines. This is an FYI for something I haven't seen discussed at Vidcoder and was found at Videohelp after I had some failed experience with using either Handbrake or Vidcoder
with MakeMKV as the first step in peprapration of a DVD. The Videohelp site had given a routine or several for DVD preparation which solved some errors I was getting at the stage of using Handbrake /Vidcoder. Preparing the DVD with either DVD Shrink or DVD
Decrypter in combination with AnyDVD running in the background will give a file set that is usable for encoding than the MakeMKV step. The steps are: run AnyDVD which resides in the tray, Run DVD Decrypter or RipIt4Me whose current version is available at
Videohelp then encode the VOB file set with Handbrake or Vidcoder. With this system I could use Vidcoder and keep my lower resolution screen rather than having to change up to what Handbrake requires. Here is the link to the brief guide written by Baldrick:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/303110-How-to-easily-convert-DVD-to-high-quality-MP4-MKV-H264-using-free-tools What I found from using this method was that it eliminated gross artifacts like pixelated blocks from the job. Also I have weened myself off of
using DVDFab which Baldrick shows in the Guide. DVDFab now has extra stipulations for using Fengshui's free DVDFab Decypter and so that step should contain the substitutions described here. Doing it the old way, the large File made by MakeMKV played without
flaws but the encoded job would have all these problems. This technique I have settled on does include the commercial program AnyDVD which varies slightly from the Baldrick original written in 2009.
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM
You don't need anything else other than AnyDVD and VidCoder. AnyDVD strips copy protection and VidCoder reads the disc structure and does the encoding.
Sep 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I'll try that method. Thanks. It does however let out the 'all free tools' preference that some may have. Lon RandomEngy wrote:
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I have a page that breaks out all the different options for removing copy protection:

https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Ripping%20DVDs%20or%20Blu-rays

Some are free but require copying the disc to the hard drive before running VidCoder.