Beta 1.5.6 doesn't scan special character filenames

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Edited Sep 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Hi,

I upgraded from beta 1.5.5 to 1.5.6 today and lost the ability to scan filenames with special characters like German umlauts. The logfile showed the filename incorrectly decoded. This has never been an issue at all with earlier versions.

I installed 1.5.5 over 1.5.6 and still couldn't handle those files. I deleted the entire contents of the program folder and re-installed 1.5.5. Can handle all files again, but lost drag-and-drop functionality for opening files. I guess I have to reset all settings somehow. How could I achieve that?

CU,
Guender, well, 'Günder' actually
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Was playing around with the path encoding/decoding in an attempt to get proper unicode support working. Looks like this broke some other characters. I'll look at fixing for the next beta.

The standard way to clear out an installation is to uninstall from Add/Remove programs and choose "yes" for deleting presets and such. It should re-copy your presets from your stable install if you have one.
Coordinator
Sep 10, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Interesting, the new muxers don't work with umlauts in the output path. I have a partial fix but I'll have to wait for some libhb changes for things to get back to 100%.
Sep 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Edited Sep 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Yes please! Vidcoder's ability to flawlessly process German filenames was what drove me towards your brilliant piece of software in the first place. Some alternative encoders/frontends I had considered required me to rename those files before and after processing.
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Check 1.5.7 Beta. It should handle umlauts and other special characters now. They're still messed up in the log but the encode should happen OK now.
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM
As much as I'd like to, I can't seem to get the latest betas to work. Application throws a nasty dependency error and then bails out. Installing a previous version over doesn't seem to do any good, I have to remove all files and settings to get previous version to run. Last version that runs and handles them umlauts right is 1.5.5 beta.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Try updating your video drivers. The latest HandBrake builds are having trouble with OpenCL.
Oct 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Thanks for the hint! I updated AMD Catalyst drivers to latest version on two systems, nasty erros are gone. I can use the latest beta now and give it a try with filenames containing umlauts.