Making a Preset - Audio Question

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Had a few nice presets made, 1.5GB, 2.3GB and 3.5GB... for files in my media center that were a bit too large and eating up space.

I left the audio to default (from the 'normal' preset) but sadly, didn't realize that when converting movies it converted anything that was 5.1 down to 2.0.

Is there a way to make a preset, choosing a final size for the file, but having it essentially just copy the audio track over? or at least, leaving 5.1 as 5.1, and stereo as stereo?

... or do I have to go into the preset and adjust the audio each file?
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Edited Oct 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Use "Auto Passthrough" for the codec. I'd recommend using Constant Quality encoding when doing this because when using passthrough it's not able to prediect the output size as well.
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Awesome... thanks... I wondered if passthrough would do it, but seeing different versions of passthrough made me second guess it.

So, does auto passthrough simply copy it over? and if I used say, "AAC Passthrough" it would convert the file to AAC but keep it at 5.1 or 2.0?
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM
AAC Passthrough only works with AAC tracks. Auto Passthrough works with everything (that it supports) and preserves the original input format.
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Cool... Auto Passthrough it is for me... sadly already deleted the original files, but definitely will remember this when making future presets and save myself the headache. :D

Is there a config file that can be saved? that remembers all presets? I tend to wipe my system out a few times a year, being able to copy/paste a backed up file would save some time.
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM
You can export your presets individually with Tools -> Export Preset. Or if you want to save and restore everything, copy %appdata%\VidCoder\VidCoder.sqlite (%appdata%\VidCoder-Beta\VidCoder.sqlite if you're using the beta).
Oct 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM
That's what I was hoping for, a file with everything in it.

Awesome forum... few of them that I use usually take days for a response (if any at all) and aren't usually helpful.

Thanks again.