some new ideas/features

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM
some ideas:
a lot of the settings don't have the options same as source
for example: referenzframes, the audio codec/channels/bitrate

there should be a switch to turn on deinterlacing if the video is 1080i/definitely interlaced format
as far as I know there is only decomb and deinterlace (but both will deinterlace, decomb decides for each frame)

a new layout for the presets would be nice:
like the settings -> there should be a column/bar on the left side containing all profiles so that you can switch between them, at the top of this bar should be buttons for adding profiles, reseting all default profiles to their default values
after each preset should be a delete button, and if you double click on them they should change into an edit window so that you can rename them
on the right side would be all the settings
on top of the right column should be the tabs (video, audio, advanced,etc.) like it is now
there should be a new tab called file -> containg stuff like: mp4 or m4v, web optimized, large file, etc.
each setting should be separated by a line or some space and aligned under each other and it should have a help button with a "?" (if you hover it the description will be shown)

the settings should be kind of protected/have a protection
if you are using the main profile then 8x8 transformation should be grayed out because it requires high profile
same for weighted p-frames if you are using the baseline profil and so on

while encoding there should be something similar to the current and average fps-> current and average datarate (graph for the last 10 seconds or just the figures (for example: average datarate: 4235mbit/s)

possible scheme for new encoding profile window layout (no design, just a simple scheme where which buttons could be):
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Same as source:
Reference frames: Not possible. This is a parameter used during encoding that does not show up in the output file.
For audio you have auto-passthrough, which can preserve everything about an audio stream.
If you're not doing auto-passthrough you have to re-encode and much of the input settings are irrelevant at that point. The original sound might even be quality-targeted, in which case you can't pass through bitrate. If you want to preserve the channel count only, you can just pick the most channels available and it will fall back to a lower number of channels if the input audio doesn't support it.

Deinterlacing: I don't know that there's a reliable way to tell if something is deinterlaced or not. Generally if you don't know if the source will be interlaced or not Decomb is the safe bet. Though I'm mostly just using HandBrake features here.

I rather like your encode settings mockup, actually. Having the container/file based stuff in its own tab makes sense, and having a one-click change to another preset would be handy. Though I'd want to keep the Save/Save As/Rename buttons and would have to find someplace to put them. Though as for the button "resetting profiles to their default values" I don't see where that would fit in. Right now you can edit a system preset, then save it as your own user preset, but you can't ever permanently change a system preset. If you change presets after editing a system preset, those changes will revert. So you'll never have multiple system presets changed at any time.

The ? icons might be a good idea but I worry that they might make the UI too cluttered and take up too much space. You can get that description from the tooltip already.

"the settings should be kind of protected/have a protection
if you are using the main profile then 8x8 transformation should be grayed out because it requires high profile
same for weighted p-frames if you are using the baseline profil and so on"

The selection of profile and the editing of advanced settings are completely separate. If you're changing the profile you're in basic mode, and if you're changing settings in the Advanced Video tab you're in Advanced mode. When you go over to the advanced tab, it will translate your preset/profile/level/tune settings into advanced options, but then you no longer have any concept of them. So it wouldn't make any sense to gray out options for them.

As for the encoding statistics window, I've gotten some requests for that before. I'm thinking of just having it as another optional window like the Log window. Though I don't think I have access to the data rate, I could display FPS, encode time and a few other stats there.
Oct 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM
RandomEngy wrote:
Same as source:
Reference frames: Not possible. This is a parameter used during encoding that does not show up in the output file.
really?, well I don't know it exactly but if I use MediaInfo on my TS-Streams it shows me the referenz-frames (but the setting isn't that important, it was just an idea I had recently and I don't really need it

RandomEngy wrote:
Deinterlacing: I don't know that there's a reliable way to tell if something is deinterlaced or not. Generally if you don't know if the source will be interlaced or not
I'm using the TS-Doctor and it shows me whether the stream is interlaced or not (maybe it is depended on the container, if the information is available)

RandomEngy wrote:
I rather like your encode settings mockup, actually. Having the container/file based stuff in its own tab makes sense, and having a one-click change to another preset would be handy.
thx

RandomEngy wrote:
The ? icons might be a good idea but I worry that they might make the UI too cluttered and take up too much space. You can get that description from the tooltip already.
my idea for the layout was, that if you hover over one setting it maybe gets a little darker background then the other ones and a help button ("?") pops up at the outer top-right edge of this "container"

RandomEngy wrote:
"the settings should be kind of protected/have a protection
same for weighted p-frames if you are using the baseline profil and so on"
well I'm using the version 1.4.24.0, so I don't know if this feature is just in the beta, but if I open the system preset normal which uses main per default as the H.264 profil but 8x8 transformation has a checked checkbox and isn't grayed out!?

RandomEngy wrote:
The selection of profile and the editing of advanced settings are completely separate. If you're changing the profile you're in basic mode, and if you're changing settings in the Advanced Video tab you're in Advanced mode. When you go over to the advanced tab, it will translate your preset/profile/level/tune settings into advanced options, but then you no longer have any concept of them. So it wouldn't make any sense to gray out options for them.
you mean if I'm using the main H.264 profil the 8x8 transformation option would be ignored by the encoder?

RandomEngy wrote:
As for the encoding statistics window, I've gotten some requests for that before. I'm thinking of just having it as another optional window like the Log window. Though I don't think I have access to the data rate, I could display FPS, encode time and a few other stats there.
sounds nice to me

thx for your reply ;-)
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Djfe wrote:
I'm using the TS-Doctor and it shows me whether the stream is interlaced or not (maybe it is depended on the container, if the information is available)
It would need to be available through the HandBrake API.

Djfe wrote:
my idea for the layout was, that if you hover over one setting it maybe gets a little darker background then the other ones and a help button ("?") pops up at the outer top-right edge of this "container"
Maybe. Would still take up space in that case. Still, I think the tooltips are doing a decent job.

Djfe wrote:
well I'm using the version 1.4.24.0, so I don't know if this feature is just in the beta, but if I open the system preset normal which uses main per default as the H.264 profil but 8x8 transformation has a checked checkbox and isn't grayed out!?
you mean if I'm using the main H.264 profil the 8x8 transformation option would be ignored by the encoder?
Yeah it works differently in the Beta. You can install it side-by-side with 1.4.24 so you can check it out if you'd like (if you're not on Windows XP).
Oct 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
thx for your answers ;-)

btw. I'm using Win7 32bit
Nov 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM
another Question does Vidcoder support the High 10, the High 4:2:2 and the High 4:4:4 profile?
and does it support Predictive Lossless Coding?
Coordinator
Nov 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM
HandBrake doesn't support those profiles. Not sure about Predictive Lossless Coding.
Nov 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Edited Nov 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
according to Wikipedia only High 4:4:4 supports predictive lossless coding
EDIT:
maybe I just should have searched more on google:
quote from Handbrake FAQ:
"HandBrake does not currently support any lossless intermediate codecs for encoding, therefore, if you convert video with HandBrake you will be throwing away quality for no reason. "