Can't embed subtitles in MP4 container

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM
For the past couple of versions of Vidcoder I haven't been able to embed VOBSUBs from a DVD into an MP4. I can hardcode them into the video but embedding them in the file doesn't work. I can get embedded subtitles to work if I encode an MP4 with Handbrake or if I use an MKV container in Vidcoder, but I'd like to stick to MP4s and I vastly prefer Vidcoder over Handbrake.

In the Vidcoder log for the MP4, there's a part about subtitles that is different from the other two logs. It reads:
[03:35:02]  * subtitle track 1, English (track 4, id 0x4) Picture [VOBSUB] -> Render/Burn-in
But in the other two logs (Vidcoder's MKV and Handbrake's MP4) that line reads:
[03:38:20]  * subtitle track 1, English (track 4, id 0x4) Picture [VOBSUB] -> Passthrough
If you need me to I can post the full logs from all three encodes.
Coordinator
Nov 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM
HandBrake recently switched over to using the avformat MP4 muxer. That one doesn't support passthrough vobsubs, so it has to burn them in. The latest Handbrake nightlies also exhibit the same behavior. Don't know yet if they intend on adding that capability back in.
Coordinator
Nov 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Though in 1.5.11 Beta I'm going to be properly disabling the "burn in" checkbox to reflect the fact that burning in with the mp4 avformat container is the only choice.
Apr 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM
I have the same problem.

Is there an advantage of the avformat muxer? Was anything broken in the previous functionality? To me having to hard-code subs is a pretty significant disadvantage, as it removes a lot of the flexibility. Would it be advisable to use a previous version of handbrake that features the old functionality?
Coordinator
Apr 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Licensing concerns were at least part of the reason they made the switch; I don't think anything was really broken.
Apr 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Thanks very much for your very fast reply! So I will consider working with an older version for now -- hoping that the possibility of embedding Vobsubs will at some point be added. I was able to produce an MKV with everything embedded (audio and several subs). The idea was to then remux into an MP4 (without reincoding), but that did not work, either, although I played around quite a bit.