Video Passthrough?

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Edited Dec 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Sounds like an odd request I know, but wondering if a video passthrough like there is for audio?

Reason is, sometimes I have a file with 5.1 audio only, and my TV only has Stereo... so sometimes I have a movie that's insanely loud for effects and music, and you can barely hear the talking.

What I do it run it through vidcoder, and have it take the 5.1 and create two tracks, a 5.1 passthrough, and a converted track creating an AAC stereo track, that way I keep my 5.1 track for a day when I have surround sound and usually the stereo track fixes the overpowering sound effects issue.

Problem is, I have to fiddle with the video and figure out a setting that doesn't lower the video quality... that... or I use VidCoder and create a file with the 2.0 track, use MKVMerge, load the original file and the new file and basically take the 2.0 track from the new file and add it to the original... in other words a few extra steps I want to avoid.

So, is there a way to take say an MP4 file, load it into vidcoder, and have it create a 2.0 track and essentially remux the rest?
Dec 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM
There's no video passthrough setting and there won't be one. That's a feature the HandBrake team would have to add and they've said they won't do it.
Dec 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM
That sucks... probably wouldn't be a feature used very often but, seemed like something that would be useful to have at times, like in my situation.

Well, I guess I can stop trying to figure it out then. :D

Likely just keep with my current method, if not shrinking a file down in size I'll just render with fast/poor video settings just to get the 2.0 audio track made and use MKVMerge with the original file to remux the new track in. :)