Audio levels

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM
There is +/-20dB of audio gain adjustment available in VC (and HB), but I am left wondering how anyone can use it effectively when there is no facility to visualise the levels.

Is it possible to dig into the HB code and reveal say, the peak levels for the various soundtracks? I think this would be a very useful addition to VC if you can do it. Even nicer would be an indication of the loudness a la mp3Gain.

When we open a file for conversion there is a scanning process. Are the soundtracks scanned then or is this just a cursory glance at the data looking for time code breaks, etc?
Coordinator
Jan 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM
I'm not sure how deep the scan goes. I don't think HB exposes the peak levels on the audio tracks.
Jan 27, 2014 at 3:16 AM
I can only wonder why HB have provided the facility to adjust the gain and compression when there is no way to evaluate the effect BEFORE proceeding with a conversion. I know we can render a preview, but there is no way to find the loudest part of a file. Without some form of metering or a waveform display it is very hit-and-miss and a waste of time. Maybe the HB developers are working on providing this feature? Anyone who has ever been thrown out of their chair by the common combination of quiet dialogue and loud sound effects would be grateful.

It is of course possible to demux the audio and video, adjust overall audio gain and limit or compress loud bits in a sound editing app, then remux but it just takes far too long and, I assume, is not an atractive proposition for most users.
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2014 at 5:33 AM
Good thoughts. Maybe you should post them on the HandBrake forums where it will get more attention from the devs that actually work on that.
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Done.