aspect ratio not maintained - widescreen always encodes as 4:3

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Thanks for the awesome program first of all - very easy to use.

I've been doing a lot of encoding and I cant get my output to be a true widescreen. I always keep the option "Keep aspect ratio" checked and it always comes out less-wide than original. I can click the preview button, see the preview as true widescreen, then encode 5 secs and it comes out a different aspect ratio.

In this screen grab you can see the preview image underneath the short clip that I encoded. The heights are almost identical, but the widths different. This happens for every movie I've tried on 2 different PCs. I'm using v1.4.25

You can also see the video settings I used. Any help is appreciated.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM
actually I think this is a result of the player and not vidcoder. When I play it in WMP it looks fine. Strange though - in Divx player it says "original aspect" as the chosen option but when I change it to widescreen, it looks correct.
Feb 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM
It looks like the Divx player is not respecting the pixel aspect ratio that was included with the video when it was encoded. If you want it to play back correctly in players that do no support anamorphic video, change Anamorphic to "None".