XP Sp3 - My HD continue to emit a "TIC TIC TIC" only whit vidcoder execute...... it's normal ?

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM
I have installed two hours ago VidCoder on my PC.......... the Os it's Windows XP sp3........ all it's working but when i lauch VidCoder my HD begin, and continue to emit whitout interruption, a TIC TIC TIC..... whitout motive!!

To stop this noise i need to close VidCoder............... it's sound like spin-off of spin-in or like a infinite access to some never founded, just that Vidcoder executed (whitout any file loaded or project in encoding) and my hd begin to emit this noise.

IT's not a HD hardware problems because.... i already says it, i begin to listen this "tic tic" only when VidCoder has been started and disappears when VidCoder it's been shut down.

It's a bug ?? OR it's normal ?
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Does your computer have a floppy drive?
Apr 4, 2014 at 9:46 PM
RandomEngy wrote:
Does your computer have a floppy drive?
Yeah........... because ?

But I just tried...... the floppy drive led remain off and never goes on.......... the sound from hd it's similar than infinite access, i'm italian and I can not explain it well..... it's similar than i stay in download whit mIRC there have direct access from hd, continues "tic tic tic"....

You thinks i can try to install latest beta ?
Apr 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Nah.... the BETA it's not working on XP ??

When i try to launch i obtain:
Windows XP it's currently broken. It is not known if or when it be fixed.

WTF ? my XP it's really broken or simply XP it's not supported ?

EDIT
I have read the VidCoder it's not more working on XP from 1.5.7........ the last beta working on XP it's 1.5.6 but it't been released previous of latest stable otherwiese i thinks it's useless i try to test it's same "problems" whit hd it's preset or not.

EDIT 2
I have downloaded "VidCoder-1.5.6-Beta-x86.exe".......... same message then XP it's broken........ what's the latest beta working ?
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM
I've heard that feedback before, that their floppy drive is continually being accessed; that's probably the sound you're hearing However I've pored over the code and it looks like I'm doing the disc checking correctly; I'm only looking for optical drives like DVDs. And I can't reproduce it. I've kind of hit a wall in my ability to work on that problem. You could try and work on a fix for it, or just disconnect your floppy drive since USB flash drives are about a million times better anyway...

As for XP I would recommend that you upgrade to a modern operating system because as of today Microsoft will no longer release security patches for XP. Unless you think that being part of a botnet would be a cool thing.
Apr 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM
RandomEngy wrote:
I've heard that feedback before, that their floppy drive is continually being accessed; that's probably the sound you're hearing However I've pored over the code and it looks like I'm doing the disc checking correctly; I'm only looking for optical drives like DVDs. And I can't reproduce it. I've kind of hit a wall in my ability to work on that problem. You could try and work on a fix for it, or just disconnect your floppy drive since USB flash drives are about a million times better anyway...

As for XP I would recommend that you upgrade to a modern operating system because as of today Microsoft will no longer release security patches for XP. Unless you think that being part of a botnet would be a cool thing.
It's useless to pass a updates OS on OLD HARDWARE........... in this my pc i have a Pentium 4 CPU.... i can't install Windows 7... or 8.1!! I can only remain to use XP!

The security patch ? It's very important ?? Avira for example still continue to updates the virus definition and this latest version still working on XP whitout problems......

Otherwise returning to HD access............ I can assure it's not the floppy drive emit this "tic tic tic" noised... it's the HD i can see the LED activity and my currectly desktopc case it's all opened and i can see all componet and listening the exact hd reproduce this noise :)

You say you can't reproduce this "problems"......... ok..... every pc there is different....... i have two desktop in my room, i have installed the latest x64 on my second pc with windows 7 x64 and no same noises from case.
Usually i have so other software installed for encoding........ i use daily this pc with XP and it's the first time i found a programs can obtain this noises from hd....... i already says again.... it's similar to continue access to hd.....

If you thinks it's usefull i can post to you a complete report to exact hardware installed on my computer..........

I also try to disable Avira..... but there noises still remain............. This programs it's based on handbrake right...... i can try to install handbrake if i obtain a similar problems........ i report it in 10 minutes.....

EDIT
Now..... i'm installed latest HandBrake picked from VideoHelp site:
http://www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.9.9-1-Win_GUI.exe

I have executed it........ and after 2 minutes the GUI it's appears on my monitor, no noise activity it's been listening from my hd....

EDIT 2
I have started an encoding whit handbrake......... it's very similar to this vidcoder but this still better because for example it's possibly to obtain the size output of imput a desidered bitrate and watching the output size files at finished encoding!
In the recent past i have used so many programs..... like Avidemux 4 example...... but very often i use XVID4PSP (whit so many difficult option to set) to convert my file to xvid or recently to mp4/mkv (using x264) and i never have this "problems" whit HD activity.....i don't want to be cause problems to my hd........

Probally it's difficult so other member report this same "problems".......... i have a IDE hard drive, probally if i have a SSD hard drive or a more recently IDE or SATA hardware it's more silent like my hd or those who keep their case completely opened ???

EDIT 3
Otherwise if you thinks it's ok........... on next time i shut off this computer before to turn on i can disconnect the power (you thinks it's better and disconnect the data cable and power cable ? ) from my floppy disk and retry to launch vidcoder :)
IT's about three or four years i can see or use a floppy disk on a pc :)
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Yes, security patching is very important. Antivirus software cannot fully compensate for an insecure operating system. You should check out the Windows 7 requirements: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements . It says that it will run on a Pentium 4.

I don't know what your hard drive problem is, but yes seeing if it happens with HandBrake would be a good thing to determine. I have not heard any other reports of people saying VidCoder makes their hard drive make funny noises.
Apr 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM
ok......... windows 7 it's can be runned on Pentium 4............ whit my VideoCard i say on Windows 7 there is not OPENGL supports............ i can't pass to windows 7 and i thinks no pass to Windows 8.1 on this pc :)

Otherwise i have try to use this "VidCoder-1.4.25-x86-Portable.exe"............ same activity noises from my case :)

Also i have try to run the 1.4.25-x64-portable...... and latest 1.5.18-x64-portable from my second pc (a better pc than first.. windows 7 x64 cpu amd X264 - 8GB of DDR3 ram and 2 SATA2 HD Etc etc.) and no funny noises from HD.

I already says...... i don't thinks it's bug of 1.4.25 x86.... but i can't try it on another pc whit XP Sp3 for moment.................. i can only try to disconnect floppy disk.... but i don't thinks it's the solution for this my little problems :)

EDIT
Otherwise........ i know it's useless but some month ago i have posted a full AIDA64 hardware report about this pc:
I can't paste here........ and i paste it on Tinypaste....... you can see here:

http://tny.cz/f90c8374

if inside you can found some important information about my pc........notify me.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM
DjDiabolik wrote:
I have downloaded "VidCoder-1.5.6-Beta-x86.exe".......... same message then XP it's broken........ what's the latest beta working ?
1.5.6 beta or 1.4.25 stable both work fine on XP with SP3 installed.
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:13 PM
mike20021969 wrote:
DjDiabolik wrote:
1.5.6 beta or 1.4.25 stable both work fine on XP with SP3 installed.
1.5.6.... i repeat...... i obtain xp it's corrupt on sp3......... it's not working.
Apr 10, 2014 at 9:32 PM
IT's very very strange......... i have installed the 1.5.6 beta over the 1.5.18 whitout uninstall it.......... and look this picture:

And look again here............ revounistaller says it's 1.5.6 beta it's correcly installed:

I try to re-download this 1.5.6...... uninstall and make a clean install......... but the latest stable it's been released after this beta...... i thinks it's useless to maintain the two version at same time..... or not ?
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Even though 1.4.25 was released after 1.5.6 it still references an older HandBrake core and older code in general. The only updates to 1.4.25 were the translation files.

As for installing older versions over newer ones, that's probably a bad idea. You should uninstall the newer version before installing the older one, and clean out your settings/profiles as well. The old versions often do not know what to do with newer profiles.
Apr 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM
RandomEngy wrote:
CUT CUT
As for installing older versions over newer ones, that's probably a bad idea. You should uninstall the newer version before installing the older one, and clean out your settings/profiles as well. The old versions often do not know what to do with newer profiles.
I need it to uninstall the beta before........ i conserve the latest stable 1.4.25 and installing the last beta working on XP 1.5.6.......