x265 "advanced" tab

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:50 AM
Will there be an "advanced" tab for x265 in the future, like we have for x264? :)
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM
I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of it. I have not found a situation that it covers in x264 objectively better than the preset/profile/level/tune system.
Apr 19, 2014 at 5:06 PM
I have to admit that I still don't know much about x265. I was just wondering if an "advanced" tab will be introduced at some point to have more control over the encoding.

For x264 I found out that I need:
aq-strength=1.5
no-dct-decimate=1

to achieve the quality I want. Otherwise I was always facing color banding for videos which were very dark (like SciFi - Space).
For that the "advanced video" tab was very useful. :)
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:57 PM
I usually use the Quality slider to change the quality target.
Apr 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM
RandomEngy wrote:
I usually use the Quality slider to change the quality target.
I am also using quality based encoding. But even at "CQ 10" I get color banding in dark areas.
Now i am using CQ18 with aq-strength=1.5 & no-dct-decimate=1 and the color banding is 100% gone.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Weird. Well you should still be able to use those tweaks even without a specific UI to expose all the settings. Just type into the "extra options" box.
Apr 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM
RandomEngy wrote:
Weird. Well you should still be able to use those tweaks even without a specific UI to expose all the settings. Just type into the "extra options" box.
I like the usability of the advanced section, because it allows to easily change the values without the need to "just know" all of them.
Also the detailed description for each feature is very great, and helps a lot to understand what each slider does. You have done a great job there in the x264 section.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Okay, I get why you like it. Though I'm not an expert in these settings and I'm not sure which ones carry over. The current Advanced UI is mostly copied from HandBrake's. I might just do that again, though they don't have it yet.