Newbie question: level of degrading when converting, then editing, then encode again

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Say I have a tv-recording (.ts-format)
I would like to remove parts of the previous program and the extra recorded stuff at the end
and needcase also some commercial stuff.

I have a program that can do that perfectly, but has major problems in case of big .ts files.
It causes sooo much disc-activity, that my pc cannot be used. I might click on anything and it would take a minute or two before something is happening, if at all.
That is only with bigger .ts files.

The workaround I am thinking of is to convert them to mkv or mp4. Normally files are smaller then.
Thereafter do the cutting and re-encode the file.
This is a hypothetical situation, I haven't tried this out yet.
so:
a/ .ts -> mkv or mp4
b/ edit the file
c/ re-encode

Appreciate views on this.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Usually you only want to re-encode once, and if you're doing processing in between, use a lossless intermediate format. But if you're using a high enough quality you might not notice. It's up to you though.
Sep 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Thanks again.
". . . . use a lossless intermediate format."

eh ...?

For cutting out stuff I use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5.
But as said, the bigger .ts files (say files of 7-8 or more GB, when a long program is recorded), well, that's "too much"
Maybe set VidCoder to Video '10' or '15' ?
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM
I meant use something like the lagarith lossless codec before doing the final compression:

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

As far as Quality in VidCoder I wouldn't go below 16. You should encode some samples and see if you can actually tell the difference between them.