Request: Update 1.5 beta to svn6397 ASAP

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Edited Sep 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Just a quick request to expedite, if possible, a release of VidCoder based on Handbrake svn6397 or later. Why this specific release? Because this is when multi-threading was added to the NL-Means denoiser. Note that the current 0.10 beta 4 is svn6403, while the latest nightly (as of this moment) is svn6408.

The result of this MT code (on my system) is the difference between roughly 11fps (VidCoder 1.5.24.0 beta) and around 40fps (Handbrake 0.10 beta 4) using identical settings on SD source. These numbers compare to 65-70fps without using the denoise filter at all so it's still quite a bite, but a 40% loss is better than an 80% loss.

I much rather the interface of VidCoder to Handbrake - especially the easy dropdown for telling it if you want to shut down afterwards (which is reset each session!). Hence my desire to have the beta updated, rather than just switching tool.
Coordinator
Sep 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM
I'll see if I can carve out a bit of time to work on it. It's been pretty crazy with the move.
Oct 5, 2014 at 5:30 AM
Much appreciation for the new build. Re-ran Highlander last night as a "worst case" scenario (the noise on that BluRay is horrendous) and it pulled around 8.2fps, against the non-processed 13.6. Still a decent speed cost but not nearly as much as the first implementation of NL-Means which cut it down to 0.7fps (and that was just during the almost-solid-black opening).
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2014 at 5:34 AM
Awesome!
Oct 8, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Edited Oct 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Wow .. until this request I didn't even know the "NL-Means" feature exists. The picture improvements on old animation movies (DVD/SD) are just great. The costs on speed are shocking, but the end result worth it. Thank you for that hint.