Subtitle question

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Hello, you have a wonderful program thank you!

I'm having a problem though and I noticed it says "There is Blu-ray ripping, but subtitles are not supported yet" My question is, are there plans for subtitles in the near future?

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Whoops, actually it has supported it since 1.4. I've updated the documentation to be correct.
Sep 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Oh, well then I'm having a problem with them.

When I click on the Edit.. button, I get a window with the list of "Subtitles from the source ". There're four or so columns with the Name of the subtitle/Default/Forced Only and Burn In. The Burn In column is already checked with no way to un-check it, at least that I can tell, the check is grayed?

My IDEAL goal is to get a resulting MP4 that I can turn the subtitles on and off whenever I want to. AND if I could have anything on top of that id like to have the foreign languages on the disc automatically subtitled.

Everything I've tried so far has resulted in either the subtitle always on with no apparent way to turn it off, or no subtitle at all? I've tried testing every combination of check boxes in the edit window without success. I'm wondering if the check marked under the "Burn In" column NEEDS to come off some how?

Any and all help appreciated

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:26 PM
When using MP4 there are some subtitle types that you have to burn in; that's a limitation of the engine. I know in the latest HB builds (which I have not gotten to update to yet) it's a bit less restrictive. Perhaps in the next VidCoder beta release it will let you do that.
Sep 24, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Are you saying if I were to use MKV, I would have better luck, because I don't mind using that format?
Sep 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Yes, MKV has fewer restrictions on subtitles so that might do what you want.
Sep 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Please allow me to step in here. Am having the same issue (with .mp4).
Indeed with .mkv the burn in tag isn't greyed out, like with mp4.

Q: when are you planning to next VidCoder beta release..?
Maybe it is worthwhile waiting for. Think when using H.264 in MP4 and MKV there is no difference.
The .mp4 is more commonly supported though.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:02 AM
When I get time to do it, I will. Hopefully within a couple of weeks.
Oct 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM
I've updated to the latest HandBrake SVN in 1.5.25. Give it a try on that one.
Oct 7, 2014 at 3:26 AM
Subtitles act the same, "Burn In" box is force checked and subtitles are on continuously. Back to MKV, they work how you'd expect.
Oct 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Yes indeed, confirm what yahknow1 says : for Blu Ray, MP4: Subtitles - 'Burn in' is tagged and greyed out.
This is not the case with .mkv.

(VidCoder Beta (x64) portable)
Oct 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Ahh I see, it's the DVD VobSub subtitles that are no longer forced to be burned in on MP4. PGS subtitles on MP4 still need to be burned in.