VidCoder is only encoding the first 34 minutes of a film

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:48 PM
I'm using VidCoder(a wonderful piece of software) to backup Pan's Labryinth for streaming to my TV, burning in the subtitles. However, even though VidCoder shows the movie to be 1 hour 59 minutes long, only the first 34 minutes are encoded. It does complete that section, as it plays, but I'd really like to be able to encode the whole thing... Any suggestions?
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Can I get an encode log? Does HandBrake do the same thing?
Oct 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Haven't tried Handbrake, as I need to burn in the subtitles. I'll try VidCoder again and provide the encode log.
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Well I use the HandBrake engine. Trying the encode with HandBrake would tell me if it's a problem with HandBrake's engine or with VidCoder specifically.
Oct 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM
I just got home, I'll try HandBrake on one computer, and VidCoder on another, and see how that does. Thanks for the quick reply, I'll keep you posted.
Oct 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM
I tried encoding on 2 different machines, using Handbrake, and Vidcoder. Handbrake finished the encode perfectly, while the computer I first tried Vidcoder on failed again. One thing I did notice though, was the external Blu-Ray drive on that computer seemed to be trashing around on the disk a lot. I put the disk back in the other computer, extracted an ISO file from the disk, put it on the first computer, mounted it with Virtual Clone Drive, then ran Vidcoder again. This time, the encode ran without a problem. My theory is that the external Blu-Ray drive had problems reading from the disk, and Vidcoder thought it was at the end and finished the encode at that point. At least that's the only thing I can think of given the circumstances, though I would have thought Vidcoder would have terminated with an error, rather than truncating the video file.

I'm going to try ripping another of my Blu-Ray disks with the suspect drive to try to verify this theory. I'm just happy I got Pan's Labryinth finished for Halloween viewing...

My thanks to the authors of Videcoder, it's still the only encoder I can use to burn ,SRT format subtitles onto video files.