Choppy video after scene change

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Hello,

Thanks for such a great program! I have one minor issue that I can't seem to resolve. When I take a HD movie (720p or 1080p) that has an average file size of around 8GB and run it through VidCoder to reduce the file size down to around 5GB, I get some noticeable "choppiness/brief" freezing after scene changes usually where there might be some action. The audio remains good and I get no other errors. I'm using the standard "High Profile" option and output to .mkv. All other setting are at the defaults.

I'm currently trying some other options like 2-pass encoding (w/ turbo), a x264 preset of "medium," H.264 Profile of "High," and H.264 Level of 4.1. Not sure if any of these would help but the preset that it was on was "Fast."

Also tweaked a few things under advanced but didn't get too crazy with it. Do you have any ideas what is causing this? I use to use DVDFab to encode stuff but even that app did the same thing but WAY worse. VidCoder seems to fix the issue mostly but I do still notice it a tiny bit.

Thanks for the help!
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:36 AM
Do you get the same choppiness with HandBrake? If so you may be able to ask them for help. I use them for the encoding engine, so this issue would be in their domain.
Dec 30, 2014 at 4:38 AM
Thanks for the response! I'll run some tests with Handbrake and see what happens.

Thanks again!