SSA subtitles, not a format for my DVD player

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:16 PM
Around first of December before Christmas, the films I run through VidCoder started to contain subtitles as SSA (SubStation Alpha), and not as "Text subtitles with various tags" as earlier. Now, my DVD player does not understand SSA subtitles, so I would really like to skip the SSA subtitles. But I cannot find anywhere to configure the format of the subtitle. Anybody ?
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM
What format subtitles does the source file have? You say you want to "skip the SSA subtitles" but then you say you want to just change the format. What are you trying to do? You can always burn them into the picture and any player will recognize them then.
Jan 6, 2015 at 3:41 AM
I start with a MKV file and a SRT-subtitle file, and want to end up with a MKV file where this SRT file in built-in (not necessarily burned, but default). Earlier this went fine, the SRT got built in as a text subtitle, now it is converted to a SSA format I dont want.
Coordinator
Jan 6, 2015 at 5:52 AM
Hmm. This change might be due to the new MKV/MP4 container that the HandBrake core switched to. You might try this in HandBrake and ask them about it.