Is there a way to select another font than "Arial" for subtitles?

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:27 AM
Hello!

Basically, all I want to do is change the "Arial" font to "Traditional Arabic" font when burning-in subtitles because the "Arial" font places random boxes on random arabic words. The subtitles are displaying fine 90% of the time with "Arial", but "Traditional Arabic" works at 100%.

Is there a way to change the default font? Maybe in my computer settings or something?

I've attached the Arial version of my converted video.

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2015 at 1:29 PM
I don't know of a way to do that in the HandBrake API that I use. Perhaps you can find a player that will override the subtitle font settings for you.
Feb 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM
Can you give me some hints how to do that? Or maybe you could add the option in a future VidCoder release?
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2015 at 5:30 AM
No idea how. Would be up to HandBrake if I can put it in a future release. Their API needs to support it.
Feb 2, 2015 at 8:53 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM
Is there a char code similar to "Windows-1256" in the list of available ones? I think this may solve the problem for arabic text. (I am currently using ISO-8859-6)
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2015 at 10:47 PM
If you're using SRT subtitles I'd recommend re-saving your SRT file as UTF-8 and specifying UTF-8 when you bring the the SRT file as well.
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:09 PM
I'm facing the exact problem. I want to hard-code subtitles to mp4 files, but the of the font settings is preventing me from doing so, because of these silly random boxes. But I noticed one thing about them that they appear with a certain character or a combination of characters. it is this one ( لا ).
Apr 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM
Edited Apr 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM
i used utf-8 srt files (also happened with ass ssa with any font) when i used burn in option works fine with soft subs in most video player except for VLC player
like @theoneed said "they appear with a certain character or a combination of characters. it is this one ( لا )." character لا is the b character in arabic keybord
i think it a linux thing because of the draw library or something also i burn in the same files with the same fonts, settings with other apps with no problem at all

after hard sub
before
after
Jun 9, 2015 at 8:08 PM
i just wanna add that apps like StaxRip and Avidemux doesn't has the same problem (same settings same video same subtitle same fonts)