Video Cropping

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:02 PM
Hi - Thank you all so much for providing VidCoder. I am starting to get comfortable with it but one feature is hard to understand: Cropping a video. Starting with a flv file that is 16:9. MediaInfo says that is 426 w x 240 h. I need to convert it to a home theater DVD format for playing on my TV.

What I don't understand is how to calculate the top & bottom crops (sometimes left & right but not this video). I'm trying 16 top & bottom as a test but when I play the encoded video with Windows Media Player 12 the horizontal bars still show on both my computer monitor and TV. Same with VLC 2.1.5.
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:19 PM
Does the source have black bars that you're cropping away? And your problem is that you still see bars when you play back on a 16x9 TV or computer monitor?
Mar 12, 2015 at 4:15 PM
That is correct.
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM
That's by design. After cropping, the aspect ratio of the video doesn't match the aspect ratio of the TV. If you wanted there to be no black bars you'd have to stretch the picture out of proportion... making people's heads too tall or too flat. You can do that if you like by unchecking "Keep aspect ratio" and specifying the width and height manually.